WAV to MP3
Jun 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 47
Right. And converting wav to flac will on average cut the size down closer to half. Might as well go with flac
smily_headphones1.gif

Would it be bad if I convert my WAVs to FLAC rather than ripping it from CD to FLAC right away?

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 47

Would it be bad if I convert my WAVs to FLAC rather than ripping it from CD to FLAC right away?

nah not really just an extra step, you can use EAC to convert to Flac as soon as u rip 

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 47
Essentially the same as ripping my WAVs to FLAC then, though I used Windows Media Player to rip my CDs.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 47
Yep. And, if I'm not mistaken, EAC rips to your computer to WAV and then coverts to FLAC, and the deletes the WAV on its own.

yeap, it's a super duper useful program and It's highly recommended 

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #22 of 47
RJ - I posted this earlier in the thread.  Best software I've found for transcoding .....

dbpoweramp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/)

Great for batch transcoding (ie if you want to transcode all your WAVs to flac)

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 47
  RJ - I posted this earlier in the thread.  Best software I've found for transcoding .....

i USE DB FOR TRANSCODEING as well, I think you can set EAC to use db power amp to do the trans code

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #24 of 47

Thanks for the notice mate, would certainly come in handy when I decide to convert my WAVs to MP3s for mobile use. As for now, I'm having no problem with WAV (apart from the size I guess).

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #25 of 47
Hi all,

What is the best (preferred) way to convert WAV to MP3? Say I buy a high-res WAV from HDtracks? FLAC won't work on my iPod, so that's out.

I listen to WAV on my computer (Schiit Modi/Magni to Alpha Dogs) and CBR 320 MP3 on my iPod. 

As to respond to original post.

If your buying HD tracks try downloading a FLAC player from the Apple App Store. The best one I tried is called AmpliFlac and costs $9. There are also a bunch that are free. VLC is free. I also use FLAC Player by Khoa Tran Anh but the files are out of order and you gets unwanted adds showing up at the bottom of your screen. Lol

Anyway Apple DACs max out at 48 kHz still you can mix your iTunes library with your iDevice FLAC library and listen to both. I find even 24 / 96 HD tracks sound better than any files out of my Touch Gen 5, especially with AmpliFlac. Cheers.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #26 of 47

Thanks for the notice mate, would certainly come in handy when I decide to convert my WAVs to MP3s for mobile use. As for now, I'm having no problem with WAV (apart from the size I guess).

If you're happy with WAV - then no need to change.  They're both lossless and both produce the same PCM stream at the end of the day. 
smile.gif

When you do look at lossy files for your DAP / portable use - you might want to look at aac as an option if your player supports it.  Very transparent (even at 256). Dbpoweramp will handle aac encoding as well.  I use the nero aac codec.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #27 of 47
Apart from that, I presume WAV is not a problematic codec?

No, the audio part is fine, supported by almost any media player.
The tagging is problematic. Some media players don't tag it at all or only partial.
The moment you move your files to another device, you might have a problem.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV_KB.htm

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #28 of 47
I am struggling to get the point of HD audio... 
Take a look at this spectrogram of an HD track I recently bought... (and this is only one of several more I've seen)

spectrogram

Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong, but doesn't it just look like inaudible high frequency noise, up there, in the upper band (and quite loud, by the way)? What's the point of saving all that useless data! Thank God my ears are not good enough to hear it!

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #30 of 47
  I am struggling to get the point of HD audio... 
Take a look at this spectrogram of an HD track I recently bought... (and this is only one of several more I've seen)

spectrogram

Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong, but doesn't it just look like inaudible high frequency noise, up there, in the upper band (and quite loud, by the way)? What's the point of saving all that useless data! Thank God my ears are not good enough to hear it!

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

give that a read 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back