WAV ripping on mac. Itunes or Lame
Dec 5, 2003 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
Any noticeable difference between ripping to WAV in itunes vs a LAME based ripper?

Itunes identifies its ripped WAV files as 1411 kbps.

Edit: I should mention if itunes isnt the best choice, I am looking for mac-only software.

Dec 5, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey there, I'm a Mac whore too!
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont use mp3 anymore, but you can try NMP3. I've heard only good things about it. its a cool LAME ripper. I think iTunes is just a little too easy to use for my taste. I guess I still have a little PC left in my blood.

by the way, I'm pretty sure that iTunes uses LAME. Good luck...

BILL

Dec 6, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 4
You can use iTunes with the encode to LAME script to rip from iTunes to LAME encoded MP3s. You will also need the LAME 3.93 package. Both the script and package should be able to be found at versiontracker.com. Otherwise, iTunes uses the old SoundJam encoder, which isn't too good. iTunes with the LAME package and script is a pretty good way to rip to LAME because it fills in all tag information, organizes by artist and folder in a place which you can specify, and adds the ripped files to an iTunes playlist automatically. But it looks like you just want to rip to WAV, so none of this is necessary.

WAV and AIFF are both uncompressed files, so don't worry about what the bitrate is. Since you're just interested in ripping to WAV and not MP3, using iTunes set to rip to WAV should do the job just fine.

Dec 6, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 4
I use 224 AAC mostly now, but for MP3, the iTunes-LAME prog is great for encoding (consider using the "fast" tag for speed). I'm not sure how you're using the term 'ripping', but if you wish to do that in a separate process before encoding, TAE (Toast Audio Extractor - built into Toast) or iTunes to AIFF or WAV (with error correction on) are options. Also be aware if you do very low bitrates (say to preview over web or for audiobooks, etc.) iTunes modified FhG MP3 encoder will likely out perform LAME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back