Watts Up...?
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #4,306 of 4,753
Very nice. Movies must sound quite spectacular as well. haha, my tt2 is silver and mscaler is black.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #4,307 of 4,753
Very nice. Movies must sound quite spectacular as well. haha, my tt2 is silver and mscaler is black.
Reminds me of earlier this year when I didn’t think I would need my Mscaler anymore so I sold it.
I only lasted a week! Missed it so much I had to buy a new one.
But could only buy one in silver at that time and mine was black to match my black Dave. The mismatch bugs my OCD but at least my sound is back :)

I keep getting tempted to list it and buy a black one!

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #4,308 of 4,753
I think we are possibly talking at crossed purposes here - and I haven't helped with clarity either - I hated (and still do) the Decca digital recordings. When I talk about the Decca sound with fast realistic transient edges it's only from an analogue tape from pre Dolby (i.e before 1968). For example, the CDs from the box set the "Decca sound the analogue years" came out in 2013 (that's when the box set was produced), but were mastered from the analogue at an unspecified time - so it probably would have been in the mid 80's to late 80's when CD's were first taking off. It is impossible to imagine that the ADC used then was the 48k/18b Decca ADC, as the popular Sony PCM1630 was released in 1985 - and this had decent measured performance, and a passive anti-aliasing filter (better than 50dB rejection at 22kHz) against today's poor half band decimation with -6dB at 22.05kHz.

I bought one Decca Digital on vinyl in the early 80's, and it sounded dreadful - never again. I knew the Telarc was 16/50k, but that sounded bad too.
Hi Rob,

Can you please tell me which battery you are currently using with the Chord M Scaler?

Thank you

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,309 of 4,753
The Bixpower BP90-12v. It has access to the 12v battery unregulated, and is the best sounding unit I have heard. But you need to import it from the USA. I only use it on flights, as the supplied PSU and Wave cables sound the same, (with optical input). If you use the battery then the stock BNC cables are fine.

I am charging it now ready for a flight tomorrow.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #4,310 of 4,753
Hello Rob,

Would a double sided micro USB plug have more electrical noise than a regular, single sided plug, due to there being connectors (and thus current flow) at both sides instead of 1 side?

CC-USB2-AMmDM-6_website_image---6b42325b-f32e-4594-8be7-578c37dfdf27.jpg

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #4,315 of 4,753
Hello there Rob,

Im considering a major ugrade from the kef ls50 meta to the voxativ hagen tower speakers. These are very efficient horn type speakers with a 96db sensitivity. Could i check that my mTT2 that can output 8W SE would not be too powerful for these speakers and it is just a question of adjusting the volume to a comfortable level? I ask as a number of dave owners have powered voxativ speakers directly and dave outputs only 2W.

The second point is that bi amping is obviously not possible from the mTT2 single ended but is bi-wiring something i should really be doing for optimal SQ or do i not need to bi wire the speakers?

many thanks again MK.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,316 of 4,753
Hello there Rob,

Im considering a major ugrade from the kef ls50 meta to the voxativ hagen tower speakers. These are very efficient horn type speakers with a 96db sensitivity. Could i check that my mTT2 that can output 8W SE would not be too powerful for these speakers and it is just a question of adjusting the volume to a comfortable level? I ask as a number of dave owners have powered voxativ speakers directly and dave outputs only 2W.

The second point is that bi amping is obviously not possible from the mTT2 single ended but is bi-wiring something i should really be doing for optimal SQ or do i not need to bi wire the speakers?

many thanks again MK.

Why not get a an amplifier instead of driving directly? It might be a purer signal I get that but it also might not sound very good.

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #4,317 of 4,753
Hello there Rob,

many thanks again MK.
If TT2 has equal current rating for positive and negative signals on the XLR.. then you could wire the speaker low/mid wire to positive pin + common ground and the tweeter wire with swapped polarity to the negative and ground pins.

That could make for a nice bi-amping method

But your speakers must have total separated wiring inside.

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #4,318 of 4,753
Hello there Rob,

many thanks again MK.

Just setting it to the right volume level and you will be fine. I have had horn loudspeakers played at crazy (live rock band) volume levels from a TT2 before - but you don't want that volume if you want to preserve your hearing! I would find it difficult to imagine that a mere 7W would possibly damage a speaker if you are running it without clipping.

As @Reactcore mentions bi-wiring works well so long as the speaker has separate terminals for treble and bass.

Is the current plan DAVINA still an 8ch input + 8ch output interface?

And separately - do any of the pro audio AoIP protocols interest you?

What if a recording engineer wanted 3x DAVINAs - how will clocking work ?

So at the the moment it's a stereo ADC that's being designed. This will have a SRC (sample rate conversion) clocking option tested, and that will allow syncing to external word clocks with (hopefully) no loss in sound quality.

We have not specified the PRO version product yet, but it's something I am thinking and discussing with Chord about, and it will certainly have options to sync to external clocks as this is essential for pro applications. The difficulty is doing this without degradation, as external clocks will always create issues. And yes we will be doing more than interfacing via USB - one option under consideration is using Dante.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #4,319 of 4,753
I am at the Marriot in Irvine California ready for the SoCal CanJam this week-end. I normally travel a few days before so that I can get used to the jet-lag, so that I hopefully make some sense when I do my seminars and don't come across as a bumbling idiot! We normally do some dealer training, or just visit dealers, or do dealer events and spend a day or two chilling out. This year Tom Vaughan, who handles the pro audio side with Chord was coming over to do CanJam. Chord have been well known for supplying power amps to major studios World wide, and we also have very good traction with my DACs too in studios for mastering and for cutting vinyl. One studio that has recently bought Dave and some Mojo 2's is Atlantic Studios West in Hollywood, who do the recording on the west coast for Atlantic Records. Tom was doing a run of interviews with all the recording engineers about recording, how they got involved with Atlantic Studios, their experiences, and lastly how they got on with Chord DACs and amps. Tom asked me if I wanted to tag along, and since it's an opportunity to meet these guys and to further understand recording, I thought that was a great idea.

20230928_135645.jpg

20230928_110040.jpg

Dave at Atlantic with one of the recording engineers.

20230928_111107.jpg

Tom doing the interviews. Chord will be showing all the videos in highlight form on their website, and having the full interviews on the pro Chord section - you will in due course be able to see it here.

20230928_115029.jpg

Mojo 2 and Chief Recording Engineer Ryan Gladieux.

20230928_123709.jpg
20230928_131702.jpg

The interviews were very much better than I expected, and at one point I thought we would have to cut it, as Tom was laughing so much about a situation when recording Edd Sheeron off-site using Mojo 2 to monitor the recording. They are all great guys, and I couldn't have been happier about how much they rate my tech. One said afterwards how did I get the magic fairy dust into the DACs? I replied it's just taken forty years of constant grinding...

Some time back I posted that sometimes I fell like I am banging my head against a brick wall. Well yesterday was a great day, one I will remember for the rest of my life, and I left feeling that some of those bricks have been destroyed.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #4,320 of 4,753
When Rob hears live unamplified music on the other side of the technical problem:
D1snM4J.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back