Watts Up...?
Jul 25, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #4,126 of 4,753
I cant help imagining the amount of groundplane noise stacked FPGA's must generate.. it must be a pain to filter that out using copper connection to the DAC..

And ofc the heat they produce
Indeed keeping it fanless and not burning owners when touching, is a challenge.

The same challenge with trying to get high performance from any fanless computer.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #4,127 of 4,753
He said enormous amount of power available

If Qudelix 5K can do 10 bands parametric EQ

Please can new M Scaler do 10 bands also, not just 5

With the same clever way to set the EQ too

I'm more interested in this for a future Hugo3 anyway
True, but it's hard to imagine a use case for a 10 band fully parametric EQ in a DAC.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4,128 of 4,753
I would find a 5 band fully parametric eq very helpful for room correction. I continually try to improve my room and I find passive room correction incredibly helpful but it has its limits. The closer I get to a flat response 'in room' between 250hz and 10khz the better I find the instrument Timbre, overall Dynamics and musicality sounds over my full music catalogue. I test the frequency response whenever I make meaningful changes.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4,129 of 4,753
I would find a 5 band fully parametric eq very helpful for room correction. I continually try to improve my room and I find passive room correction incredibly helpful but it has its limits. The closer I get to a flat response 'in room' between 250hz and 10khz the better I find the instrument Timbre, overall Dynamics and musicality sounds over my full music catalogue. I test the frequency response whenever I make meaningful changes.
Interesting, I don't really like a flat response in my room, it sounds dull when I get it flat.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,130 of 4,753
GR, I like to have some extra bass but I also like accurate instrument timbre. To me it affects musicality.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #4,131 of 4,753
I also think one of the biggest enemies of Hifi reproduction is the frequency inconsistencies brought about by room affects on each speaker. I find Synergistic research HFT's useful in this respect. Room nodes and frequency cancelling can be mitigated to a point via the use of HFT's. Sometimes quite powerfully so.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #4,132 of 4,753
I find Synergistic research HFT's useful in this respect. Room nodes and frequency cancelling can be mitigated to a point via the use of HFT's. Sometimes quite powerfully so.

You’re taking the piss with that statement regarding synergistic research hft aren’t you?,

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,133 of 4,753
No. They affect room nodes and my experience is, if I move them closer or further from the source of the sound they seem to provide a point of reflection at the distance frequency, thus having a small affect on natural room reflections that are cancelling the power of certain frequencies in your room. Thus I can interfere with those cancellations. I have been experimenting with the positions of these things in my room for more that 3 years now, just to understand them more.

Edit: I would add that we are only talking about maybe 0.5db but if you have a void at a certain frequency, 0.5db is quite a profound change.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #4,136 of 4,753
You must not be familiar with "oratory" and "AutoEQ".

There is an entire world out there that you are not familiar with.

No need to "imagine".

Hopefully Rob Watts is aware, else there is no hope.
Insulting people does not represent a use case for a 10 band fully parametric EQ in a DAC.

Which I'll note you still haven't provided.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #4,137 of 4,753
Issue here is that can a parametric 5 or 10 band eq with same or better accuracy than mojo 2 is feasible with current hardware in a dac? As you play with extremes of parametric eq, it should be a challenge to keep it transparent. Btw mojo 2 eq is such a hit that it has transformed the home and portable listening into a complete new experience. With fiio ft3 and at 20khz at -1 clicks (or -2 clicks in some sibilant recordings), it is a super end game set up. Fiio ft3's 350ohm is such a great decision by fiio. It goes extremely well with mojo 2. The sound is very linear, flat, clean, transparent, detailed, refind, realistic, life like, musical and so on. I would suggest everyone to try mojo 2 with ft3 and tiny eq of -1 or -2 click at 20khz .

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #4,138 of 4,753
I'm not sure I see the use case for a full parametric eq implemented in a desktop or full size DAC.

For a portable system ok as the eq function needs to go out and about with the rest of the system.

For non-portable systems wouldn't it be better to implement your eq at source via eg convolution filters or the equalisers provided in the streaming apps, which all have the control software and apps necessary already developed?

As for successors to the Dave, there is also the issue of the UI that would be used to control the eq function. Would this be via ever more complex external hardware and displays, or the development minefield of a dedicated app?

For Chord there is again a real danger of severe mission creep. A repeat of the GoFigure experience is not needed this time around.

I say: keep it simple. A DAC is a DAC. Eq should be implemented elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #4,139 of 4,753
I'm not sure I see the use case for a full parametric eq implemented in a desktop or full size DAC.

For a portable system ok as the eq function needs to go out and about with the rest of the system.

For non-portable systems wouldn't it be better to implement your eq at source via eg convolution filters or the equalisers provided in the streaming apps, which all have the control software and apps necessary already developed?

As for successors to the Dave, there is also the issue of the UI that would be used to control the eq function. Would this be via ever more complex external hardware and displays, or the development minefield of a dedicated app?

For Chord there is again a real danger of severe mission creep. A repeat of the GoFigure experience is not needed this time around.

I say: keep it simple. A DAC is a DAC. Eq should be implemented elsewhere.
I sort of, half agree with you!
You do have a point that, a portable device such as Mojo2, can implement EQ. This is mostly because it is expected to be paired with heaphones, and headphones, mostly, tend to need some EQ.
On the other hand, most home users, have so far managed to keep their setup, pure and avoid using EQ.
But times are changing! people are using more and more EQs on their home systems, and want better and better EQ systems.
Now add to this mix, the promise that Chord DACs can implement hardware EQ of Rob Watts design, running in high upsampling protocols, allowing for cleaner, better sound quality!
Then, you would be right again, that such EQ system can soon grow very complex, and the simple GUI that Chord, so far, has offered is not sufficient.
Better EQ implementation is desired, but can Chord and RW pull off the control system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back