Watts Up...?
Jul 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #3,571 of 4,668
Oh I see now. No worries about the sub line level input or speaker level input - they both end up into a power amp input of the sub - so would be a very easy load either way for TT2. My guess is the speaker level input would be the best, and 80% on the volume still means you can go up if needed. Less attenuation is the goal.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #3,572 of 4,668
@feddar check you’ve got everything cabled correctly. As I was swapping speaker wire to my sub I noticed almost all the volume disappeared, I had to turn it to max just to get a drop out, turned out to be a speaker cable wasn’t connected properly.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3,573 of 4,668
Strange, when I feed it xlr to speaker level
Inputs, I can’t put the volume up more than 20% on the sub.
I think this is the better way I conceptualize this (which is sort of what Rob Watts has said).

When you have XLR to speakers and RCA to sub, let's say you are at a specific volume where you're pumping 2V to the speakers, then you're sending 1V to the subwoofer.

Now if you have RCA to speakers and XLR to sub, what is actually happening if you want to listen at the same volume would be that you still want to send 2V to the speakers so your volume setting would be 6dB higher than before (which is fine) but you're now sending 4V to the subwoofer. That means at the same volume to the speakers, your subwoofer is getting 12dB higher in signal when you have XLR to the sub instead of RCA. This is why you have to manually turn down your subwoofer volume.

This would be fine as long as your subwoofer volume adjustment can be turned down. And the RCA output has enough voltage to drive your speakers.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,574 of 4,668
Oh I see now. No worries about the sub line level input or speaker level input - they both end up into a power amp input of the sub - so would be a very easy load either way for TT2. My guess is the speaker level input would be the best, and 80% on the volume still means you can go up if needed. Less attenuation is the goal.
Thank you so much, yet again!

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,575 of 4,668
I think this is the better way I conceptualize this (which is sort of what Rob Watts has said).

When you have XLR to speakers and RCA to sub, let's say you are at a specific volume where you're pumping 2V to the speakers, then you're sending 1V to the subwoofer.

Now if you have RCA to speakers and XLR to sub, what is actually happening if you want to listen at the same volume would be that you still want to send 2V to the speakers so your volume setting would be 6dB higher than before (which is fine) but you're now sending 4V to the subwoofer. That means at the same volume to the speakers, your subwoofer is getting 12dB higher in signal when you have XLR to the sub instead of RCA. This is why you have to manually turn down your subwoofer volume.

This would be fine as long as your subwoofer volume adjustment can be turned down. And the RCA output has enough voltage to drive your speakers.
From my understanding, the XLR SE output would be exactly the same as the RCA output. If it were balanced XLR, then you would be correct. But you should not use XLR balanced to hook up to speakers in this case.

Jul 21, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #3,576 of 4,668
I am using the RCA and XLR outputs from the TT2, which I assume are both speaker level outputs.

The XLR SE are driving the very efficient single driver speakers.

The RCAs are driving the subwoofer. That signal would be speaker level, and is going into either line level input in the sub, which has a preamp build in, or it can go into the speaker level input, which has some form of amplification, but the preamp is bypassed on the subwoofer itself.

When I use the line level input on the sub, volume level on the sub needs to be kept at just above zero since it is so loud. When I use the speaker level input, I have to keep it at around 80% volume on the subwoofer, since the volume is so low.

Am I correct in assuming that by using the speaker level input on the sub, the TT2 would be working harder, putting more strain on it and potentially increasing the risk of thermal clipping?

Which input to the sub you think would be safest for the TT2 firstly, and the sub secondly?
How about running the speakers from RCA and use the XLR for speaker level input on the sub?

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3,580 of 4,668
Hi @Rob Watts , I’ve been using the Chord Mojo for at least 5 years now, will be upgrading to the Mojo2 soon and eventually the DAVE. Fantastic DAC/headamp. Great to see a British HiFi still very much alive.
I’m using Dan Clark headphones with my Mojo which I find a great pairing, what IEMs would you recommend with the Mojo, what IEMs do you use,
Kind regards
Kev

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,581 of 4,668
Hi @Rob Watts , I’ve been using the Chord Mojo for at least 5 years now, will be upgrading to the Mojo2 soon and eventually the DAVE. Fantastic DAC/headamp. Great to see a British HiFi still very much alive.
I’m using Dan Clark headphones with my Mojo which I find a great pairing, what IEMs would you recommend with the Mojo, what IEMs do you use,
Kind regards
Kev
I don't think that Rob uses iems very often.
Your best option is probably to search the Mojo thread (that advice is based on me contributing to that thread for most of the past seven years). The mojo proved to have good synergy with many iems, which did steer me in my decisions about which iem to buy.
You can PM me if you want.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #3,582 of 4,668
Hi Mike,
Thanks for below I will check the Mojo thread out. Is always interesting though to know what designers like Rob use in their own systems :)
Kind Regards
Kev

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #3,584 of 4,668
The Mojo did prove to have good incompatability to many iems, so a search is useful.
I have used and are using my old and trusted Noble K10U with both Mojo (OG) and CH2 with great synergy, there are much better iems out there today but these are quite neutral and not tireing after hours of use and can be bought for a bargain today…worth a listen 👂

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #3,585 of 4,668
Kind regards
Kev
Thanks for your kind comments.

I had a number of IEMs some 6 years ago - but I just couldn't get on with them. After an hour my jaw would ache. That said, the Noble Kaiser did sound very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back