Watts Up...?
May 5, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #3,451 of 4,673
I misused the term 'causal' I think, in referring to the published impulse response. Any FIR is causal in absolute real time of course. I was intending to refer to the post-peak part of the impulse response. The published impulse response I referred to from 'Stereophile' would not be linear phase. I'm not sure what I've got for FIR. It's a trade-in Mojo 1.

I certainly agree high n filter, symmetric window over sinc, is going to be optimum. This does assume the ADC end is filtered to Shannon criteria, i.e. also sinc, brickwall, linear phase. It won't be perfect of course. The closer to sinc at both ends the better, transients included. Of course it is almost impossible to do the experiment and actually hear the effect of a linear phase near-ideal brickwall without going digital and back!

I can see from previous posts that you believe that windowed sinc is still best for reconstruction even if the anti-aliasing filter at the AD end was something else. I agree it is unlikely you can meaningfully sort that out, although one may be able to select a DAC FIR which gives a pleasing result. The overall ADA is not going to be particularly accurate in the time domain in this case.

Another overall approach might be to assume the ADC filter is causal in the 'analogue' sense, i.e. no pre impulse artefacts like ringing. A case might then be made for a similar reconstruction filter, i.e. post peak weighted, or even no pre-ring. Of course the whole setup would not be phase linear or even close.

Personally I think 'digitalness' is indeed down to these time domain issues. I also wonder if long persistence, mathematically simple, analogue-causal effects can help ameliorate them. Microphonic valves, hysteretic transformers. All very subjective!
Impulse signal is illegal signal in the sense it does not exist in real life music. There is no meaning of pre ring for music signal. Rob watts has clarified it a number of times. Even if ADC used any kind of filter and caused errors, those error can't be removed by any dac filter. By using long sinc filters you can only ensure that those errors are not further magnified.

May 5, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #3,452 of 4,673
Impulse signal is illegal signal in the sense it does not exist in real life music. There is no meaning of pre ring for music signal. Rob watts has clarified it a number of times. Even if ADC used any kind of filter and caused errors, those error can't be removed by any dac filter. By using long sinc filters you can only ensure that those errors are not further magnified.
Yes, normally there are no time isolated single sample wide impulses in music. And pre-ring should never manifest as such as an added artifact in a perfectly reconstructed music file, with exact filter and sample rate matching, true enough. However it does I believe represent energy which could under circumstances departing from ideal manifest in the audio. The level of those errors is the point, it seems to me.

You can't, it seems to me, have your cake and eat it here. If extended windows and accurate coefficients matter, you are implicitly stating that pre-ring does matter.

The whole thrust of the digital audio debate is the complexity and non-time-causal nature of the errors thrown up in the time domain.

May 5, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,453 of 4,673
Yes, normally there are no time isolated single sample wide impulses in music. And pre-ring should never manifest as such as an added artifact in a perfectly reconstructed music file, with exact filter and sample rate matching, true enough. However it does I believe represent energy which could under circumstances departing from ideal manifest in the audio. The level of those errors is the point, it seems to me.

You can't, it seems to me, have your cake and eat it here. If extended windows and accurate coefficients matter, you are implicitly stating that pre-ring does matter.

The whole thrust of the digital audio debate is the complexity and non-time-causal nature of the errors thrown up in the time domain.
So you mean more coefficients means more ringing means poorer sound ? I thought more coefficients will result in better reconstruction of transients.

May 5, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,454 of 4,673
So you mean more coefficients means more ringing means poorer sound ? I thought more coefficients will result in better reconstruction of transients.
No. Correct sound to hard-bandlimited input signal means both correct FIR choice, which includes extended pre-ringing, and rigorous implementation of same. There is little possibility of approaching this ideal in the real world for the total system; the best chance would be if the ADC and DAC designer were both detail-obsessive and working to the same brief. Without pre-ring the inter-sample reconstruction will not be correct.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if there are any high precision reconstruction solutions for the filtering/sampling/filtering chain other than the usual sinc based one.

Any analogue signal, fed through an analogue anti-aliasing filter which is a good approximation to linear phase brickwall, will also have pre-ring. It will wind up on the music signal. I'm pretty sure that is a true statement, but I'm willing to be contradicted. It comes out of the Fourier conjugates.

Whatever happens digital audio is going to be subject to a brickwall and whatever that does to the input signal. Or else it is working to a different remit from the usual Shannon-Nyquist-Whittaker. Most such implementations are probably very Heath-Robinson in terms of outcome.

May 5, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #3,455 of 4,673
I was wondering if anybody had a piano key sweep to be able to test speakers. The idea would be to have a frequency sweep that is from a musical instrument, rather than a sine wave. And that appears that the piano has the widest range.

May 7, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #3,456 of 4,673
No. Correct sound to hard-bandlimited input signal means both correct FIR choice, which includes extended pre-ringing, and rigorous implementation of same. There is little possibility of approaching this ideal in the real world for the total system; the best chance would be if the ADC and DAC designer were both detail-obsessive and working to the same brief. Without pre-ring the inter-sample reconstruction will not be correct.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if there are any high precision reconstruction solutions for the filtering/sampling/filtering chain other than the usual sinc based one.

Any analogue signal, fed through an analogue anti-aliasing filter which is a good approximation to linear phase brickwall, will also have pre-ring. It will wind up on the music signal. I'm pretty sure that is a true statement, but I'm willing to be contradicted. It comes out of the Fourier conjugates.

Whatever happens digital audio is going to be subject to a brickwall and whatever that does to the input signal. Or else it is working to a different remit from the usual Shannon-Nyquist-Whittaker. Most such implementations are probably very Heath-Robinson in terms of outcome.
Why to complicate everything so much ? That's why I asked if you are a dac designer or what or gathered everything on net and just pasting it here ? No offense to you but I just asked a simple question if symmetrical filter has preringing and if preringing is bad then long filters should be worse because of longer prering isn't it ? Clearly it's isn't so. Longer filter creates more accurate wave so that way prering has nothing to for real music.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #3,457 of 4,673
Why to complicate everything so much ? That's why I asked if you are a dac designer or what or gathered everything on net and just pasting it here ? No offense to you but I just asked a simple question if symmetrical filter has preringing and if preringing is bad then long filters should be worse because of longer prering isn't it ? Clearly it's isn't so. Longer filter creates more accurate wave so that way prering has nothing to for real music.
Sorry to cause offence. You can't simplify beyond a certain point and still accurately convey the essentials here.

If everything in the total ADC/DAC chain is done as close as possible to the Shannon Nyquist criteria, a filter with pre-ring is a necessity, both in the record end anti-aliasing filter and in the replay (dac) end reconstruction filter. The ringing is at the corner frequency, and decays in amplitude symmetrically as you move away from the peak response point. It is caused by the filter itself. In other words, to construct a good brickwall filter you will need a time domain impulse response associated with that filter with pre-ring, and also post ring. The longer the better, technically speaking, in terms of getting an accurate result. Same for the accuracy of the filter coefficients. Here Rob Watts is undoubtedly correct insofar as the replay filter is concerned. He also concedes that the ADC filter used by the recording/mastering engineer is normally out of the control of the DAC designer. Rob seems to believes an optimum sinc replay filter is best whatever is used at the record end. He has far more experience of that, in terms of listening tests, than I do.

It is important to point out that the signal we are able to reconstruct, using the Shannon-Nyquist-Whittaker method, is the analogue signal we wish to record, AFTER it has been through a brickwall filter. I.e. we are not claiming to reconstruct the original signal. Though the theory says that if there are no frequency components in that original input signal above the brickwall frequency, the filter should not affect the signal.

The fact that DAC designers often offer a series of possible reconstruction filters to the user shows this is all an inexact science in practice.

Hope this helps. I'm an electronics engineer and physicist. If I've got anything wrong maybe Rob or someone else can put me right.

May 7, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,458 of 4,673
A further point is that if you fed the analogue music signal into an ideal brickwall filter, analogue or digital, you'd get time domain pre-ring, unless the signal is already hard band limited to below the filter cutoff frequency. And that pre-ring would get reconstructed at the DAC as an artifact, even with an ideal sinc characteristic for the DAC filter.

If the input is indeed such a hard bandlimited analogue signal, then in terms of Fourier Transform, it stays the same after it has been through the filter, and is therefore the same in the time domain too. So no pre-ring.

But as soon as there is any content in the original signal beyond the filter cutoff, I'd expect you to get pre-ring artifacts. That's how it seems to me.

May 7, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #3,459 of 4,673
...and finally, for completeness (for the moment.....).....

A pure linear analogue time-continuous sinc brickwall phase linear filter would be just about impossible to make in practice. Even getting close to one would be extremely difficult.

May 7, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #3,460 of 4,673
...and finally, for completeness (for the moment.....).....

A pure linear analogue time-continuous sinc brickwall phase linear filter would be just about impossible to make in practice. Even getting close to one would be extremely difficult.
Seeing your responses I suspect that you might have a lot of fun trying HQPlayer and PGGB!

May 7, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #3,461 of 4,673
Seeing your responses I suspect that you might have a lot of fun trying HQPlayer and PGGB!
Maybe so. But you'd be optimising what was possible, not creating the impossible. With digital you can do much more in terms of filters. But that very first step is the tricky one, filtering the analogue. And you can't get too far, I don't think, with an analogue filter.

May 9, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,462 of 4,673
Sorry to cause offence. You can't simplify beyond a certain point and still accurately convey the essentials here.

If everything in the total ADC/DAC chain is done as close as possible to the Shannon Nyquist criteria, a filter with pre-ring is a necessity, both in the record end anti-aliasing filter and in the replay (dac) end reconstruction filter. The ringing is at the corner frequency, and decays in amplitude symmetrically as you move away from the peak response point. It is caused by the filter itself. In other words, to construct a good brickwall filter you will need a time domain impulse response associated with that filter with pre-ring, and also post ring. The longer the better, technically speaking, in terms of getting an accurate result. Same for the accuracy of the filter coefficients. Here Rob Watts is undoubtedly correct insofar as the replay filter is concerned. He also concedes that the ADC filter used by the recording/mastering engineer is normally out of the control of the DAC designer. Rob seems to believes an optimum sinc replay filter is best whatever is used at the record end. He has far more experience of that, in terms of listening tests, than I do.

It is important to point out that the signal we are able to reconstruct, using the Shannon-Nyquist-Whittaker method, is the analogue signal we wish to record, AFTER it has been through a brickwall filter. I.e. we are not claiming to reconstruct the original signal. Though the theory says that if there are no frequency components in that original input signal above the brickwall frequency, the filter should not affect the signal.

The fact that DAC designers often offer a series of possible reconstruction filters to the user shows this is all an inexact science in practice.

Hope this helps. I'm an electronics engineer and physicist. If I've got anything wrong maybe Rob or someone else can put me right.
I have been enjoying the recent technical posts, but I thought I ought to clarify some things.

If you look into sampling theory, it has nothing to say about how bandwidth limiting is done before sampling; it just merely requires no energy at and above FS/2, which for 44.1 kHz would be 22.05 kHz. If it is not bandwidth limited, aliasing occurs. In practice, with a real ADC, the issue here is decimation from the n bit quantizer running at 3 or 6 MHz (conventional ADCs) or 104 MHz (my pulse array ADCs). Since it's relatively easy to analogue filter audio to prevent aliasing with 104 MHz, then the challenge is in designing the digital decimation filters, which then supplies the samples for the OP data. So long as you achieve acceptable aliasing performance, in principle it does not matter whether the decimation filter is IIR (Causal so will NOT pre-ring) or symmetric FIR (strictly non-causal so will pre-ring). Note that the decimation does not have to be sinc or brick-wall - just enough to have acceptable aliasing performance.

Of course, defining acceptable aliasing performance is not easy, as the brain perceptually is extremely sensitive to vanishingly small amounts of aliasing - based on a number of different listening tests - and getting the required performance is a huge challenge with IIR, but relatively simple for FIR. The downside to IIR is phase linearity where the filter delay changes with frequency - and this would be substantial. My instinct is that FIR with no phase linearity issues would be much better - and my decimation filters with FIR have already been designed and listened too - and the decimation filters have only improved sound quality, as a benefit of the filters is to remove HF distortion and noise from the ADCs. The listening tests were in non-decimation mode, so just acting as a low pass filter and this suggests that the pre-ringing is subjectively completely inconsequential.

Your previous post about ringing was absolutely correct - it's something that audio industry gets wrong all the time - ringing is only a consequence of energy being there. If there is no OP at 20 to 22.05 kHz there will be zero ringing from the filter with transients (this applies both to decimation and interpolation filters). In practice, the energy from the mic at 20kHz is very low, typically -60dB.

But the interpolation filter within all DACs is a very different challenge, and is several orders of magnitude more of an issue. Firstly, you must use a sinc function if you wish to perfectly preserve transient timing - if you use any other type of filter, transients will be constantly modulated by the program material - sometimes too early, sometimes too late, and this will have huge impacts perceptually, as the timing of transients is vitally important for all facets of audio perception. Music after all, is defined by transients.

An additional problem with the DAC interpolation filter is suppression of image aliasing. Once a signal is sampled (lets say at 48kHz), then images at 0dB exist up to infinite frequencies with the image centred at every 48kHz interval; these images must be removed as they create out of band aliasing, and will cause noise floor modulation and in itself damage transient timing.

As to your comment "The fact that DAC designers often offer a series of possible reconstruction filters to the user shows this is all an inexact science in practice."

It's exactly NOT an inexact science - I only give one version of the WTA1 filter as this is fine tuned to give the best possible SQ performance by reducing the transient timing uncertainty by as much as possible. The reason other companies give different filter options is because they do not understand what they are doing. In essence they are using varying transient distortions to allow listeners to play with the sound. But using distortions to modify the sound will not allow one to fully experience the emotions of the original musical event, which is why I give the best available with the given FPGA and no options. It would be very easy for me to give lots of filter options - and commercially it would perhaps be better if I did - but I refuse to give options when I know it is damaging the true performance. My goal is to recover the sound from the mic as accurately as possible, and not produce toys that I know will degrade this performance.

May 9, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #3,463 of 4,673
I have been enjoying the recent technical posts, but I thought I ought to clarify some things.

If you look into sampling theory, it has nothing to say about how bandwidth limiting is done before sampling; it just merely requires no energy at and above FS/2, which for 44.1 kHz would be 22.05 kHz. If it is not bandwidth limited, aliasing occurs. In practice, with a real ….So long as you achieve acceptable aliasing performance, in principle it does not matter whether the decimation filter is IIR (Causal so will NOT pre-ring) or symmetric FIR (strictly non-causal so will pre-ring). Note that the decimation does not have to be sinc or brick-wall - just enough to have acceptable aliasing performance.

….
But the interpolation filter within all DACs is a very different challenge, and is several orders of magnitude more of an issue. Firstly, you must use a sinc function if you wish to perfectly preserve transient timing - if you use any other type of filter, transients will be constantly modulated by the program material - sometimes too early, sometimes too late, and this will have huge impacts perceptually, as the timing of transients is vitally important for all facets of audio perception. Music after all, is defined by transients.

…..
Sorry Rob, but these two statements cannot both be true.

If we claim that errors caused by e.g. IIR filters are OK, then it does not matter if we add them in reconstruction or when we bandwidth limit the signal. Hence the claim that IIR is ok for bandwidth limiting implies that SINC is not the only choice for reconstruction….

May 10, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #3,464 of 4,673
Sorry Rob, but these two statements cannot both be true.

If we claim that errors caused by e.g. IIR filters are OK, then it does not matter if we add them in reconstruction or when we bandwidth limit the signal. Hence the claim that IIR is ok for bandwidth limiting implies that SINC is not the only choice for reconstruction….
Oh dear you are mistaken - the problem is that filters for decimation (that is creating a lower sample rate say from 768 kHz to 48 kHz) have very different requirements for interpolation (starting at 48 kHz going back up to 768 kHz say).

So with decimation all you need to do is remove all signals at and above 24 kHz so that the level is zero - then you can safely decimate (in the case of 768>48 removing 15 samples and leaving just one). If it's perfectly filtered, then the 48kHz signal will have no errors whatsoever - a perfectly bandwidth limited to 24k 768 kHz signal has exactly the same information content as the decimated 48 kHz version. It does not matter how the filtering is done, all that matters is that the filter removes everything at 24k and above. So you can use an IIR type filter without any problems when you decimate, so long as it has infinite attenuation at 24kHz and above.

But for DAC reconstruction you have a very different problem, in that you are trying to convert a 48kHz sample rate to 768 kHz - in this case you are not discarding 15 samples but creating 15 new samples from absolutely nothing. This is a very different problem. And sampling theory is very clear - to perfectly reconstruct the original bandwidth limited signal you MUST and can only use a sinc function. If you use an IIR filter, you will get substantial differences - and these differences are audible because of the timing of transients being incorrect (or another way of saying it transients will not be reproduced correctly).

As an aside, I mentioned that decimation of a perfectly bandwidth limited signal introduces no changes to the information content, then interpolation back to the original with an ideal sinc function will not create new information but will perfectly preserve the information content. Non-sinc filters will actually degrade the information content, with IIR or minimum phase filters giving the largest degradation of information.

May 10, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #3,465 of 4,673
Oh dear you are wrong, a anti-alaising filter does not only need to remove high frequences. It needs to low-pass filter without introducing errors in the low-pass signal. Yes decimation of a oversampled bandwidth limited signal will keep the signal, but that signal is not the original signal if your low-pass filter distorted the original signal.

Consider the zero filter that for any input signal gives zeros as ouput, it removes all high frequencies perfectly. The signal before decimation is all zeros, after decimation all zeros, after interpolation with sinc all zeros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back