Watts Up...?
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #2,356 of 4,673
I needed speakers that I could carry with me on my travels - so small and lightweight - but toughly built. I ended up with the JBL one; not high end, but warm sounding and great depth. Since Covid I really should have upgraded them, but just haven't gotten round to it.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,358 of 4,673
If I want to use a balanced cable for headphones in Hugo tt2.
Do you want to drive your headphones balanced or single ended? With HTT2 you have two options, either you convert your balanced headphone cable to 3.5/6.3mm single ended jack, or you adapt HTT2's rear XLRs - 2x3Pin female XLR into 4Pin female XLR.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,359 of 4,673
Do you want to drive your headphones balanced or single ended? With HTT2 you have two options, either you convert your balanced headphone cable to 3.5/6.3mm single ended jack, or you adapt HTT2's rear XLRs - 2x3Pin female XLR into 4Pin female XLR.
I want to take advantage of the doubling of power, so I want to use balanced. So I cannot just use the adapter I showed you right? I can only drive them through the rear of the unit?

Are you driving Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC single ended?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,361 of 4,673

Have a look at this adapter instead. I am still waiting for my AB-1266, but as you can see, I plan to drive it balanced & differential too :)
Thank you so much. So why does tt2 have two 1/4 in front ?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #2,363 of 4,673
@Rob Watts i have a question regarding crossfeed levels on Hugo2 / TT2. Are they are exactly the same algorithm? I have auditioned TT2 and somehow (or its a placebo) i noticed that TT2 level1 is bit bit wider than Hugo2 level1. Or thats TT2 soundstage wider has to do with?
Thanks.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #2,364 of 4,673
Thank you so much. So why does tt2 have two 1/4 in front ?

So your friends/spouse/mate can listen too. TT2 can easily drive two headphones together.

@Rob Watts i have a question regarding crossfeed levels on Hugo2 / TT2. Are they are exactly the same algorithm? I have auditioned TT2 and somehow (or its a placebo) i noticed that TT2 level1 is bit bit wider than Hugo2 level1. Or thats TT2 soundstage wider has to do with?
Thanks.

Same algorithm and the same cross-feed code - so it's some other reason for it sounding different.

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,368 of 4,673
If you don't mind me asking @Rob Watts your thoughts on phase for the DAVE? I'm using it with ATC SCM40A speakers and thought that there was perhaps a slightly better sound from negative but many on the forum, and Ben Lilly of ATC in his response to me, stated that there's no difference and it doesn't matter.

I'm perfectly happy with the DAVE on negative phase but I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,369 of 4,673
If you don't mind me asking @Rob Watts your thoughts on phase for the DAVE? I'm using it with ATC SCM40A speakers and thought that there was perhaps a slightly better sound from negative but many on the forum, and Ben Lilly of ATC in his response to me, stated that there's no difference and it doesn't matter.

I'm perfectly happy with the DAVE on negative phase but I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?
Would be interesting to hear how phase plays a part in the sound reproduction. Isn’t it dependant on recordings too?

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,370 of 4,673
I will be at canjam London.

Will you be there? Can you autograph my Hugo 2?

If London CanJam goes ahead , then I will be there, and it would be a pleasure to sign your unit.

The only time I felt I could hear a difference, when I looked into this in the mid 90's, with music was via a stacked pair of Quad ESL57; oddly I couldn't hear a difference with moving coil loudspeakers. To be honest, it's not something I have tried recently, and I ought to with my planer headphones. I do recall reading a very interesting and excellent blog post on Archimago's website here.

In this case a special asymmetric clipped test tone is used, and absolute polarity is detectable as the ear itself has asymmetric non-linearity, and can create (if I recall correctly) 1% second harmonic distortion; so an asymmetric signal will work better (lower overall distortion) in one direction (or one phase) compared to another. But of course how often this happens with real instruments is another story!

Would be interesting to hear how phase plays a part in the sound reproduction. Isn’t it dependant on recordings too?
Absolutely - it's not guaranteed that phase is preserved, and of course different instruments have different effects - if the instrument waveform is symettrical, it won't matter. But trombones, for example, do have asymmetric waveforms so can be important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back