Watts Up...?
Apr 7, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,366 of 4,673
Rob, I was thinking about the interface limitations of the M Scaler for sending the full 1M tap upscaled signal over optical or single coaxial outputs and I was wondering if it wouldn't have been possible to also have an USB type A output that would allow the 1M tap 705.6/768kHz signal to be sent to non Chord DACs that can receive such a high sample rate over USB.

There are streamers like the Lumin U1 with USB type A outputs that can send 32bit/768kHz signals over it to USB DACs, so it occured to me that it might have been implemented as well in the M Scaler for non Chord DACs that don't have dual BNC inputs.

But for what purpose ?

Clearly the chord Dac are the most advanced to my ears over any chip Dac which is mass produced and this has been explained many times by Rob Watts

Just get a qutest or Hugo 2 or Hugo TT2 .. or even a Dave...

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #1,367 of 4,673
Rob, I was thinking about the interface limitations of the M Scaler for sending the full 1M tap upscaled signal over optical or single coaxial outputs and I was wondering if it wouldn't have been possible to also have an USB type A output that would allow the 1M tap 705.6/768kHz signal to be sent to non Chord DACs that can receive such a high sample rate over USB.

There are streamers like the Lumin U1 with USB type A outputs that can send 32bit/768kHz signals over it to USB DACs, so it occured to me that it might have been implemented as well in the M Scaler for non Chord DACs that don't have dual BNC inputs.

It isn't just the Mscaler that does all the magic. The Chord Dac connected to the mscaler is also part of the chain and hence why the overall sound of Mscaler plus H2 or Qutest or TT2 or Dave is each different and better as one goes up the DAC hierarchy. With that in mind I can see little incentive to make the Mscaler full 1M taps fully compatible with third party DACs

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #1,370 of 4,673
To re-engineer an existing product to accommodate competitor products and subsequently negatively affect sales of existing Chord solutions would seem to me a misguided commercial strategy.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,371 of 4,673
Like others, it strikes me as a very unattractive way of spending Rob and Chord’s precious time. It’s essentially trying to cater to DACs not subscribing to Rob’s philosophy. I just can’t see that as a viable business option...

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,373 of 4,673
Loads of laughter... not

It’s more to do with engineering reasons

It may or may not work properly with other DACs...

Some of which may upsample again...

And one can only get 1 million taps in DUal BNC mode

So a competitor would have to design his DAC to be compatible with Mscaler...

It’s not going to happen either way.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,374 of 4,673
Loads of laughter... not

It’s more to do with engineering reasons

It may or may not work properly with other DACs...

Some of which may upsample again...

And one can only get 1 million taps in DUal BNC mode

So a competitor would have to design his DAC to be compatible with Mscaler...

It’s not going to happen either way.
HQPlayer does it for me.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #1,375 of 4,673
Mr Watts:

Just curious about the power consumption of the processing section (FPGA) of DAVE, Blu Mk.2, etc.
On Stereophile (https://www.stereophile.com/content/chords-million-tap-digital-filter) it was noted that:
"The FPGA draws up to 10A of current," Watts replied, "and DAVE's power supply just can't supply that much current without compromising the noise floor." The Blu can, he explained, so it made sense to put the filter in the Mk.2 version of the transport and feed the filtered data stream to DAVE."

I noted that Specs for Blu Mk 2 state 30 watts total pwr consumption. Ignoring the CD transport and analog sections, how much of this pwr is consumed by JUST the computational topology (FPGAs, etc.)?

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,376 of 4,673
My old brain seems to recollect that the 10 amp current you quoted is at 1v so that is 10 w.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,378 of 4,673
Apr 16, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #1,379 of 4,673
I'd like to ask Rob a tech question if I may?

I have a Blu2/DAVE combo joined by dual Wave Storm Reference cables and the sound is just sublime

I remember Rob explaining somewhere that there is a small difference between ground plane potential in the Blu2 and DAVE (subsequently eliminated in the design of the Hugo M-Scaler) and the incurable tweaker in me came across this: http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/gc1-ground-control/

If (big if I accept, although I have no personal reason to doubt it) one buys into the physics espoused by Scott at CAD, might connecting one of these devices to the Blu2/DAVE ameliorate this signal ground differential and improve SQ?

Certainly adding the Storm References, which I understand also works on the same issue, made a big difference over 'standard' S/PDIF cables

Cheers for any thoughts

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,380 of 4,673
I'd like to ask Rob a tech question if I may?

I have a Blu2/DAVE combo joined by dual Wave Storm Reference cables and the sound is just sublime

I remember Rob explaining somewhere that there is a small difference between ground plane potential in the Blu2 and DAVE (subsequently eliminated in the design of the Hugo M-Scaler) and the incurable tweaker in me came across this: http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/gc1-ground-control/

If (big if I accept, although I have no personal reason to doubt it) one buys into the physics espoused by Scott at CAD, might connecting one of these devices to the Blu2/DAVE ameliorate this signal ground differential and improve SQ?

Certainly adding the Storm References, which I understand also works on the same issue, made a big difference over 'standard' S/PDIF cables

Cheers for any thoughts
Some excellent marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back