Watts Up...?
Mar 7, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #3,226 of 4,685
I wonder why in the first place you wanna do that!

Rob's guide to making speaker cables will result in cables that don't strangle the bass.

A thin single strand of solid core per conductor is better suited to interconnects. Though again Rob's formulation is more sophisticated.

A friend showed me this site recently, it's fascinating:

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html

Particularly interesting is the idea that cables for hi-fi need to have 100kHz or even 2MHz bandwidth. It's not that hard to do that for interconnects, because current is very small. There are speaker cables that will do more than 1MHz...
Do you happen to have a link to Rob’s guide?

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #3,228 of 4,685
Thanks for the suggestion. Which speakers in particular?
I’ve heard the 9.87 system and also an older version of the Pi. They both had the same key strength, which was purity as a result of them being designed around their single driver.

This will give you a glipse of their lineup along with prices in USD. I had been aiming for the Zeth at one point. I suspect these will be amazing driven by the TT2. You can also add to that their Z subs. Be sure to check out the Voxativ reviews so you can get an idea as to whether they would align with your listening tastes.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #3,229 of 4,685
I’ve heard the 9.87 system and also an older version of the Pi. They both had the same key strength, which was purity as a result of them being designed around their single driver.

This will give you a glipse of their lineup along with prices in USD. I had been aiming for the Zeth at one point. I suspect these will be amazing driven by the TT2. You can also add to that their Z subs. Be sure to check out the Voxativ reviews so you can get an idea as to whether they would align with your listening tastes.
I think you are right to suggest checking that speakers align with the listeners tastes. Single driver speakers can be very impressive but their presentation, strengths and limitations are very different to well designed multidriver speakers. They are not to my listening tastes but equally other people love them.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #3,230 of 4,685
Efficient single driver speakers have been favourites of low power valve amp owners for years with their efficiency and lack of crossover components, using active vs passive multi driver speakers could easily give similar results depending on the choice of speaker, I’d have thought there would be the potential for better transparency with active line level crossovers and then good quality amp modules than driving through the higher level internal passive components ?

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #3,231 of 4,685
Single driver speakers do have amazing depth - due to the simplicity of the connection. But they do sound a little strange in response terms, and that's not something I have so far been able to live with.

As to volume re TT2 and 803D3 - I have more than enough volume in my moderately sized listening room running it single ended. It's very much down to your preferences and size of room.

I had a very interesting experience last Saturday - my son and I did our first recording of a small orchestra in a church in Gorseinon (a small town near Swansea South Wales).

Before anybody gets too excited it was not done with my ADC, but a low cost pro unit. But we kept it ultra simple - stereo ribbon mike into the Focusrite Scarlett interface, no EQ, no mixing - just headphone placement to tweak. I don't intend to talk about it just now (saving that up for another post) but I could listen via the digital feed via Hugo 2 DCA Stealth - and could match the volumes exactly (headphones firmly clamped on my head squeezing tight) and taking them off. Oddly, matching volume was only needed with Hugo 2 set to blue (-10dB naked Dave/TT2 or -7dB M scaler) - considering that is with the Stealths, which are not very efficient, that shows how quiet live music actually is. Microphone placement was about a metre behind and above the conductor, and the orchestra was smaller than the real concert which happens on the 19th March. Details to the concert here. I would urge people in S Wales to go, as the music is very good.

Happy listening Rob.

PS what the best way of posting a 39MB file on Head-Fi with it being available to download permanently? I guess it's too big a file for Head-Fi direct. I was thinking of posting a permanent link to WeTransfer.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #3,232 of 4,685
PS what the best way of posting a 39MB file on Head-Fi with it being available to download permanently? I guess it's too big a file for Head-Fi direct. I was thinking of posting a permanent link to WeTransfer.
Somebody (like me) can host it on a web server and provide a link for download.
I could do it.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #3,234 of 4,685
I just checked and they are listed as £18,000 by all the dealers I saw -- floor standing, and depending on finish. I wonder if we are talking about the same version?
My apologies. I did not read carefully enough (but I think the B&W nomenclature is easy to misread). I was thinking of the 805D4 when I quoted the price of £7k.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #3,235 of 4,685
Thanks for all the suggestions. Any more would be welcome.

Would you say single driver speakers sound more like headphones?

Also, when I try speakers on RCA from the TT2, how would I know if they are potentially damaging the TT2? I should mention I am using the TT2 on low gain.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,236 of 4,685
@Rob Watts, Is there an EQ for setting for the Mojo 2 that technically/closely aligns with the first generation Mojo? I'm finding the original Mojo is more dynamic and "rose tinted" in tone. The Mojo 2 is more resolving in terms of absolutes but it is hard to compare the two with such a difference in sound.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #3,237 of 4,685
Would you say single driver speakers sound more like headphones

Not to my ears (my experience is limited though with respect to the best headphones) . Open and pure in a way I’ve never heard from anything else. I’m speaking of Voxativ specifically as I have also heard single cone speakers that weren’t impressive. As with everything in this hobby, execution matters.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #3,238 of 4,685
Thanks for all the suggestions. Any more would be welcome.

Hopefully you can attend an audio show sometime soon as this is a wonderful way to hear a lot of different speakers.

Try to get a listen as well to these: https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-orangutan-o96-loudspeaker-specifications. They can be magical in terms of the reproduction of tone. They are also magical in terms of PRAT. Their Gibbon series is more aligned with my tastes, but they aren’t as efficient.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #3,239 of 4,685
@Rob Watts, Is there an EQ for setting for the Mojo 2 that technically/closely aligns with the first generation Mojo? I'm finding the original Mojo is more dynamic and "rose tinted" in tone. The Mojo 2 is more resolving in terms of absolutes but it is hard to compare the two with such a difference in sound.
sounds like you might want to stick to the mojo 1!

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #3,240 of 4,685
sounds like you might want to stick to the mojo 1!
I’m sure the Mojo 2 can has the great sound we’ve come to love from Rob Watts and with more consistent EQ settings, it may be easier to compare the two devices. I plan to stick with the Mojo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back