Watts Up...?
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #2,971 of 4,674
Yes it has auto off when all digital inputs are removed after 10 minutes. But it remains in desktop mode so long as power is applied to the charging port.

It's closer now, but Hugo 2 is still superior.

No second order analogue noise shaper on Mojo 2 - it just needs the digital DC servo to remove the cap.

Correct on WTA2. But the filtering from 705/768 (16FS) to 2048FS has been improved.
So I understand there is auto off but not auto on, correct? Reason for this choice? Thanks

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #2,972 of 4,674
Hmm, H2 like Qutest works with the Mscaler which for me is THE defining factor.
Does M2 also work with the Mscaker is the question I need answered now?
If so I might be interested in one for my hopefully upcoming travelling lighter than before later this year. I guess there will be loads of H2s for sale second hand when all those who sell their H2s to finance an M2, will put them up for sale.
It would be nice to be able to travel without a separate headphone amp next winter, but I do not want to live without Mscaler SQ.
If M2 is not quite as transparent even as H2 on its own, I can see no personal need for it unless it will work with the Mscaler and then compete well with H2/Mscaler.
Then again I can not help but wondering ,what is that much sharper corners than M2 looking thing than M2 that has been hinted at in some pics on this site recently, an M2 TT?
Or will a smaller more portable Mscaler also materialize soon?

Cheers CC

It does.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,973 of 4,674
@Rob Watts Thank you for that excellent technical presentation regarding Mojo2! We are absolutely spoiled that you are so willing to entertain our questions and give thoughtful answers! One question I have, does Mojo2 solve the RF interference while using USB input without the need to use ferrites?

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #2,977 of 4,674
I have a question that is not strictly related to Mojo 2, but here it goes. I'm trying to figure out how the 1M tap number is calculated for the MScaler (and the Chord Dacs in general). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's assume that the filter takes a signal with sampling frequency FS and outputs a signal with 16FS. So, between a pair of real samples, it calculates 15 reconstructed samples. For each reconstructed sample it uses a symmetrical filter that processes (let's assume) 0,7 seconds of real samples from the past and 0,7 seconds from the future. So, if FS is 44.1 kHz, for each reconstructed sample, the filter has 0,7 x 2 x 44100 = 61740 weights.

So, the total tap number would be 61740 x15=926.100. Is my assumption correct?

If the signal is 88.2 Khz, is the filter upsampling to 8FS which results to 705,6 kHz? Is the filter using the same number of weights per each reconstructed sample (61.740 in the above example) or double the amount (123.480) so that they still correspond to 0,7 seconds from the past and 0,7 seconds from the future?

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #2,979 of 4,674
I have a question that is not strictly related to Mojo 2, but here it goes. I'm trying to figure out how the 1M tap number is calculated for the MScaler (and the Chord Dacs in general). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's assume that the filter takes a signal with sampling frequency FS and outputs a signal with 16FS. So, between a pair of real samples, it calculates 15 reconstructed samples. For each reconstructed sample it uses a symmetrical filter that processes (let's assume) 0,7 seconds of real samples from the past and 0,7 seconds from the future. So, if FS is 44.1 kHz, for each reconstructed sample, the filter has 0,7 x 2 x 44100 = 61740 weights.

So, the total tap number would be 61740 x15=926.100. Is my assumption correct?

If the signal is 88.2 Khz, is the filter upsampling to 8FS which results to 705,6 kHz? Is the filter using the same number of weights per each reconstructed sample (61.740 in the above example) or double the amount (123.480) so that they still correspond to 0,7 seconds from the past and 0,7 seconds from the future?
You're thinking about it the opposite way.
1 million taps is always applied for 16fs upsampling to 705.6/768kHz.
So 1 million / 705600 samples/second = 1.417s and the M-Scaler takes 0.7085 seconds from the past and 0.7085 seconds from the future to compute the 705600 samples/second
Similarly 1 million / 768000 samples/second = 1.302s and the M-Scaler takes 0.651 seconds from the past and 0.651 from the future to compute the 768000 samples/second.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,982 of 4,674
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #2,983 of 4,674
Sorry, CC back again after a hopefully a bit better and closer fact check this time around.

First of all, Very Good to know it will work with the current Mscaler.
Without that I would have had VERY little interest in one.

That was a relief to learn. But what about future even better Scalers?

And I still have a couple of questions regarding both how WELL? and for how many hours it will drive what I refer to as REAL headphones like my HEKV 2 or HD800, NOT IEMS.

I do not understand why any serious music lover would want to stick those weird earwax inducing and hearing damage risky things into their ear canals at all?

No wonder the younger generation often have worse high frequency hearing than many old-timers if they keep playing effing LOUD crap all day via such things.
And judging by what I have overheard many times from quite a distance from many of them that is exactly what they often do.
But maybe only damaging one ear at a time, since they also seem prone to share a pair of iems between themselves and listen in mono.

I haven´t been on a plane for a long time (,way too long time in fact , almost 2 years now), but even the iems you get in Business Class suck imho,and feel horrible to wear more than an hour or so.
Luckily some of the better Airlines sometimes provide noise cancelling over ear headphones in Business Class.

Back on topic, if I understand things correctly M2 still only has that DREADFUL little mini headphone jack of the original Mojo?Two of them?

If so, my interest drops considerably.

Even Hugo 1 had both types!!!
One Proper full size headphone jack and mini connection.

The times I auditioned the orginal Mojo I ALWAYS had problems with the connector needed, channel imbalances ,dropouts and generally flimsy, not at all good reliable connection via that little input with REAL headphones in my limited experience.
If so imho, another BIG drawback.
The omission of a proper headphone jack maybe indicates that it is not intended to be used with more demanding to drive full size open headphones?

And of course the horrible little micro usb even a tabletop unit like Qutest suffers from! It is the only thing I strongly dislike with my Qutest, still seems to be there on M2 too.

In most other respects Qutest /HMS do aspire to real SOTA levels. Imho only 10-15 % behind Dave/HMS.
I am generally very happy with that combo and it gives me hours of musical enjoyment on a daily basis.

But if M2 works well with both Mscaler and Poly I might still be tempted to use it as a future TRAVEL DAC if it sounds clearly better than my old Hugo 1.
Or ?
AT BEST VERY similar to my Qutest/HMS with HMS connected?

So how well will it drive my HEKV2/HD800 ? Or a possible future Dan Clark Stealth?
And for HOW many hours running on battery?

I will NEVER use IEMS so the impressive hours quoted in Rob´s post for those is completely irrelevant to me personally. I need tech facts that matter to me and my needs,not facts that only look as impressive as possible on paper.
Is a charger provided or not?
Not quite clear in the user manual.
What´s included in the box?
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back