Watts Up...?
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,966 of 4,673
Adding a linear supply will either make no difference or it will degrade TT2's sound quality. For sure you will invalidate the warranty also...
Rob, using a 12V DC as the power supply for the Mscaller does not invalidate the warantee, correct?

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,967 of 4,673
Yes it does. In practice that means that over voltage faults that require service will not be covered by the warranty, as it's easy for Chord technicians to observe that the damage was done by an out of spec PSU.

A lot of "audiophile" PSUs are simply unregulated rubbish; Chord have seen PSUs giving much higher voltages than claimed.

As to the quality of the PSU supplied with TT2 and M scaler, I tested many units, and the chosen unit was better by a huge factor, giving out of band noise measurements as good as a battery. It may look ordinary but it's not!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,968 of 4,673
Sep 30, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,969 of 4,673
That is inconsistent with your post on pinkfishmedia under the name of fourlegs where you state that you use after market power supplies on all your chord gear.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...icant-improvement.236782/page-20#post-3889595

Yeah, but I swopped one back so I could do comparisons for Sean Jacobs. Is there nothing on the telly tonight? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT, out of interest merely having the factory smps outside the Dave and connecting it via an umbilical did not replicate putting the smps back inside the Dave. Having the smps external to the Dave was a slightly smoother sound. (IMO of course).

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,970 of 4,673
Yes it does. In practice that means that over voltage faults that require service will not be covered by the warranty, as it's easy for Chord technicians to observe that the damage was done by an out of spec PSU.
Are you saying that using a 12V battery as the power supply for the Mscaller could cause an overvoltage fault that is not covered, but otherwise the warrantee is intact?

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,972 of 4,673
Rob, have you ever thought about making and selling as optional accessory a better remote for TT2+HMS pair?

I own both units and apart from having two remotes when instead of one I see at least two problems:
1) No optical2 button on TT2 remote
2) Volume buttons are the same size and shape which sometime cause a problem, when you are listening in the dark room (I bet, I’m not the only one who prefer to listen with lights off).

I know that I can program universal remote, but these remotes usually look cheap and have a lot of unnecessary buttons. I will gladly pay for better remote. Especially if it would be something nicer than standard plastic.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,974 of 4,673
Oh, I did not mean you will do it yourself. I simply don’t know who to ask about it. Anyway, I would be glad if such product appears sooner or later.

By the way, we had a discussion at local forum. If it’s not a secret, how many DAVEs Chord made so far?

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #1,975 of 4,673
I am afraid that the number of Daves sold is commercially confidential. But I can say that Chord have sold a huge number in high end terms.

The odd thing is that sales are still increasing - and that is very unusual (actually unique I think) for a digital product that has been in production for over 5 years.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #1,976 of 4,673
I am afraid that the number of Daves sold is commercially confidential. But I can say that Chord have sold a huge number in high end terms.

The odd thing is that sales are still increasing - and that is very unusual (actually unique I think) for a digital product that has been in production for over 5 years.

The increasing sales are no surprise to me. It is an awesome DAC and I take my hat off to you for nailing the DAVE so successfully that it doesn’t need an updated model.:relaxed:

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,977 of 4,673
There's only one customer ahead of me in the queue. I wonder if that's a fellow headfier? :L3000:

@Rob Watts
Is it ok to have 2 "live" sources connected at once to dave and to swap between them at will? In my case optical from my computer and usb from an ipod touch with both devices powered on so i could just switch between them when needed? I ask because optical from my imac is limited to 96khz and as a tidal/qobuz/roon user i would also like to play 192khz files from qobuz using the ipod touch usb source. Thankyou mk.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,979 of 4,673
Is it ok to have 2 "live" sources connected at once to dave and to swap between them at will? In my case optical from my computer and usb from an ipod touch with both devices powered on so i could just switch between them when needed? I ask because optical from my imac is limited to 96khz and as a tidal/qobuz/roon user i would also like to play 192khz files from qobuz using the ipod touch usb source. Thankyou mk.

Yes. In a word!

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,980 of 4,673
There's only one customer ahead of me in the queue. I wonder if that's a fellow headfier? :L3000:

@Rob Watts

Sorry I missed this question to me earlier - I have been proverbially snowed under recently - and as Triode User says yes you can! There is absolutely no downside to what you suggest at all.

Rob, Have you heard and whats your opinion on Ultima 6/5 amps?
Anyone owns?

Thanks !

No I haven't heard the Ultima 6 or 5 - I am sure they are like the other Ultimas, so I would strongly recommend that you give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back