Waterproof foam, or the most comfortable double\triple flange eartips
Feb 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ziflingus

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got a speedo aquabeat mp3 player, so i could swim while listening to music.
It's baseically an iriver played branded with the speedo logo, that comes with waterproof IEM's, 2 triple flange eartips, and one standard medium silicone eartips (take a look at the photo below).

The problem is (and nobody tells you about it before you buy the product) that while swimming, the water creates some pressure inside your ears, which tend to push the eartips out.
The current solution is to Seal the ears as hard as I can with the triple flange eartips (the regular silicone eartips, just won't seal enough). Now this HURTS my ears pretty bad (the triple flange eartips are not as soft as you'd expect them to be), but lets me swim freely without the eartips falling every 2-3 laps.

I was wondering:
1) Does anyone here have any experience with swimming & listening to music in a similar fashion?
2) Can anyone give me recommendations for softer\more comfortable silicone eartips that would create a good seal?
3) Do you know if waterproof foam or foam-like silicone sleeves exist? I currently own some comply foam sleeves but the do not interact well with water...

Thanks

This is a photo of the supplied accessories:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/speed...eat-n-zoom.jpg

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 13
It sounds like your putting them in with water in your ears already?
Wouldn't a little vaseline or the like help to seal them before you enter the water.

I'm not surprised it hurts if there is water in your ears when you put them in because water isn't going to compress like air!

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 13
Shure Olives doen't get damaged by water. They're quite durable to boot. I soaked a couple sets in hot water to soften up the plastic tube enough to stretch them over the Triple.Fi nozzles.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like your putting them in with water in your ears already?
Wouldn't a little vaseline or the like help to seal them before you enter the water.

I'm not surprised it hurts if there is water in your ears when you put them in because water isn't going to compress like air!

I seal my ears outside of the pool, and if water dont push the eartips outside, then the inside of the ear remains dry.
Some vaseline might help, but i think the eartips material is to harsh for my ears...

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure Olives doen't get damaged by water. They're quite durable to boot. I soaked a couple sets in hot water to soften up the plastic tube enough to stretch them over the Triple.Fi nozzles.

Sounds great, I'll try that.

I just wonder whether the olives create a tight enough seal...

May 4, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 13
So I tried swimming with the shure olives (medium).
At first They were okay, but after a few laps, they started absorbing more and more water, so the sound became very muffled, and eventually all i could hear was a distant sound of bass.

I guess they are out of the question for swimming.

Still the original triple flange tips create the best seal, but are very uncomfortable.

What about other triple flange tips?
Are there any good triple flange tips, which fit large diameter iems like RE0, or Denon c351k etc.?

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi there 

I've been a very keen swimmer for the last 7 years following a serious accident and leg injury and having a long term love of music I eventually got a waterproof ipod shuffle from a company called Waterfi  few years ago.
I love the device but the earphones need some work.
As I bought it through amazon they sent me several replacement pairs of earbuds during my first year warranty.
That said, out of the (7 I think) pairs, only 2 still work and I use them with the largest three tiered silicon buds, however...
this is still not ideal and they often get waterlogged and end up with me having to do  a pool session with only one working or at greatly reduced volumes.

I literally just bought my first pair of earbuds for my (dry) ipod which came with comply tips, which to me sound great...and got me to thinking if this might not be the way forward for my "swimpod" earbuds to completely block out the water leakage.

I get what you're saying about the foam reacting to water and know that chlorine might also cause problems, but having tried vaseline with the silicone buds and giving up on that for various reasons I wondered if this might be the way?

Any thoughts or discoveries?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back