waterproof carry bag-ortlieb or timbuk2
Mar 27, 2003 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All;

I've starting walking and biking to work, and need a true waterproof bag to carry my headphone goodies. real waterproof. I know the Otlieb stuff is waterproof, but that roll zip looks awkward to open and close on a regular basis. Timbuk2 bags are said to be waterproof, but i wonder if the flap really covers the opening enough to make it waterproof. Most courier style bags I've seen don't close tight enough.

Anyone have any commentss. Can't go look at a timbuk2 bag up here in the great white north.

Neither bag uses leather, and are not made in sweatshops. Any other suggestions? Tom Bihn looks good, but they ain't downpour proof.

thanks all.
M

Mar 28, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't know about ortlieb but I used to be a pretty hardcore road cyclist and pretty much all of us who need a bag to commute or deliver things swear by timbuk2. The website where you get to build is freaking awesome, I highly suggest the center divider. Comes in handy a lot. I mostly use an El Ocho which has been deemed the "magic bag" by many since I'm like Mary Poppins when I'm pulling stuff out of it. Dee dog I think is just a little too big. And Bolo is ridiculous. My friend who works in a bike shop can use them to deliver bike frames. I used to row too so I know this thing is incredibly waterproof as long as it's rain and waves and you're not going to drop it in the ocean. Personally I got mine in USC colors, red, yellow, red and in canvas instead of Cordura. I'm just old school like that, I love the look when it gets worn in and it just feels better. I had one with the bottom straps, they're pretty useless I think, I treat all my stuff pretty ruggedly and I never needed the Hypalon liner (my bike shop friend has that on all of his). I have the stuff pouch thing and the cell phone holder too. Stuff pouch thing is good for stuff you dont want to dig for but cell phone holder is kind of useless for me cause I'd rather use my pocket. If I'm wearing lycra then I usually carry it off just for emergencies and I put it in my camelback. Anyways, I'm starting to drift off topic.

Bottom line, I can't recommend Timbuk2 enough. Awesome company if you ever want to call up and deal with them for anything. Website is awesome. I can buy them plenty of places locally but no one carries canvas and custom designing your bag is too cool. And the product is just the bomb. Ok I need to stop. (God I love my bag)

Edit: I mean Bolo is the really ridiculous excessively large one, I origanally wrote El Ocho (medium size) by mistake. BTW www.timbuk2.com if anyone else wanted to know

Mar 28, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 15
thanks for the info. I'm 6'8' and figured I'd go with the biggest bag, but might rethink that based on your cooments.

And, at over 300 pounds, I ain't allowed to wear lycra!
wink.gif

I do appreciate your comments. You're right-the site is really well written, and I like the waxed canvas option.

Matthew

Mar 29, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Let me add my praise for timbuk2. They make great bags. I have the medium size bag (El Ocho) and it is plenty big for me. If you want what most would consider a "normal" sized bag, this would be the one to get. I would feel funny with one of their bigger bags... but then, I'm just 5' 10".

They are very good in rain, as long as you make sure they are closed all the way. There can sometimes be gaps at the edge where the flap covers the opening. You can order a interior lining if total waterproofing is important.

Apr 1, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Let me recommend something from CANADA (I'm not Canadian, but I know how you guys like top support your own country
wink.gif
).

Pac Designs

I have one of their bags and it is fantastic. I've used it for everything...commuting, travel and have never had any issues with it. The design of the strap is excellent and makes for easy adjustment and a good fit. The flap is oversized and I've never had rain or any leakage when closed properly.

Plus, the lady who runs the company is really nice as she still answers the phone and takes calls.

Apr 1, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 15
thanks for the info-never heard of these. Nice, but pricey and probably more hardcore than I need. Top flap does seem to cover more than the Timbuk2. And the four ply cloth looks bulletproof!

Much appreciated!

M

Apr 3, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 15
hello all;

Looks like I'll pick up the PAC based on your comment. i appreciate all the replys and PMs.

The PAC ain't much more than the timbuk2 when I factor shipping and duties etc.

Next hard part-what color?
wink.gif

Again thanks.

M

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Glad I could help!

I hope you enjoy the bag. It's more bag then I'll ever need, but hey nothing wrong with buying something that's overbuilt you know? Custom flap?

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 15
yeah, but I'll either airbrush or screen it myself after I get a feel for the layout of the bag.

Have to give the cars something iinteresting to aim for, right?

Happy listening and riding (But not at the same time, ok?)

M

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 15
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sobs quietly and pathetically in a crumpled heap)

Apr 9, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 15
Gee Goose-what's wrong. You have a nightmare vison of me stuffed into lycra? (Just kidding-it scares me too!)

What swayed me against the timbuk2 was the added costs of customs and shipping. Looked like a killer bag though. And i love waxed canvas.

Gee, now that I think of itmaybe i need a small bag for just dicking around. this site costs me money everyday!

Appreciate all your generous comments-everyone helped on this.

M;
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 15
What can I say, I'm a theatre major, I get dramatic sometimes. Tell us how the PAC works out for you, looks like a pretty decent design. Of course if I ever get one for myself I think I'll have to send it to the Timbuk2 guys to stitch one of their logos on it.

Who am I kidding? TIMBUK2 forever!!!!

Alright, back to work.

Apr 9, 2003 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 15
hey Goose. My youngest wants to go into theatre after he wraps up grade 12 next month. Looking at some schools in Montreal and London. (I'm hoping for Montreal-much cheaper and he could sharpen up his French.) US is out because our dollar is so weak against yours.

I've been a starving artist for most of my life and hoped he'd be a dentist.
wink.gif
Oldest kid is a starving writer.

Just glad I married a nurse-they always have a job!

Good luck with the stage life. Have you read Wilton Barnhardt's "Emma Who Saved My Life"? It's about a kid from the midwest you moves to NYC to be an actor. Great picture of NYC in the Regan years.

Ain't ordered the PAC yet (agonizing over color-would have taken me months to decide on a three color combo from Timbuk2-what colors? what order?) but will post a review when I get it.

Take care-hope ya make it in the arts. It's a vicious life, but so fulfilling. (Just make sure you marry a nurse!).

M

Apr 10, 2003 at 10:51 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks Michang;

I called and will have some samples to stare at and scratch my head. I'd never have found this great company if you hadn't mentioned it. Much appreciated, as I think the bag will meeet my needs perfectly.

I'm thinking Ultimate with some extra bells and whistles, in orange. Or yellow or...

take care. ride safe.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back