Waterlogged creative zen -- a lot is fixed, but what now?
Dec 4, 2005 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xluke

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I dropped my creative zen usb 2.0 into a puddle. It didn't get very wet but enough that it wouldn't power on. i took it apart and there was noticable corrosion/mineral deposits around a few of the ICs. I scrubbed them away with a toothbrush and now the unit powers on, reads from the hard disk, and plays music. However, NONE of the buttons work so I can't navigate, change the volume etc. To try to fix this i removed the battery and rinsed the system boards with distilled water and allowed them to dry. After reassembly, still, none of the buttons work.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this problem? What should I do now?

Thanks a lot!

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 4
is all the hardware on a single pcb? as in, are the buttons directly attached to the pcb, or are they on a seperate board/jumpers?

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 4
With my MZ-S1 the buttons are on a seperate board and my problem multiple times with one of my units was that the ribbon cable connecting it to the main board wasn't making proper contact. Check that first.

And don't soak anything in distilled water again. It could possibly harm the chips and parts more than help at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back