Water-proof setup?
Dec 16, 2008 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
I want a water proof mp3 and iem for swimming laps. Any suggestions?

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 16
I think you've gone mad.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Suck it up and concentrate on how terrible you are feeling as you swim rather than enjoy some music. It builds character.

biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Yeah. I have googled and done the usual looking about. I am looking for people with experience. I have a friend who swears by hers. I know that I need tunes to keep me going. Doing total body rehab is a b i a t c h a for sure.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 16
If I got a waterproof case, could I not just use a properly sealed IEM?

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 16
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 16
I still remember that there's an orange coloured, tube shaped mp3 player that's waterproof and comes with a pair of iem with triflanges tips.

Purpose: UNDERWATER USAGE!

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 16
i picked up an Aquapac case and headphones for swimming.

The good: it is completely waterproof.

The bad: sound quality is questionable at best. better with added bass eq

The ugly: it is nearly impossible to keep the phones in your ears, sealed, while swimming vigorously. i modded some shure silicone tips to fit on them, since the ones that came with them were crap. these work decently at first, but inevitably you get water between the tip and your eardrum, leading to a total loss of sound. the only solution i found was to wear a tight swimcap over my ears and the phones, which mostly worked, but hurt like hell after a while. they were being driven into my ears. even then it eventually came out a bit, and no sound.

i have concluded that singing endless rounds of "i think i love you" to myself while amusing myself with my pain is preferable to dealing with these. if you want them, send me an email at folpe.andrew@mayo.edu and we can make a deal.

andrew

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Look into a bone conduction setup that is either attached to your goggles or is a whole goggle setup. I can't imagine trying to get a seal in the water with anything. One of my teammates won Amazon.com: Finis SwiMP3 V2 Underwater MP3 Player-New Design Just out for 2007 with Goggles: Sports & Outdoors something like this in a raffle and used it in practice for warm-up just fine. I never personally tried it out (for SQ ) but for getting the music to you underwater comfortably it'll get the job done

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into a bone conduction setup that is either attached to your goggles or is a whole goggle setup. I can't imagine trying to get a seal in the water with anything. One of my teammates won Amazon.com: Finis SwiMP3 V2 Underwater MP3 Player-New Design Just out for 2007 with Goggles: Sports & Outdoors something like this in a raffle and used it in practice for warm-up just fine. I never personally tried it out (for SQ ) but for getting the music to you underwater comfortably it'll get the job done

Thanks. Will do on the bone phones. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back