Water filter
Jun 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Practises differ from country to country. I use a filter primarily because I live in a high rise apartment block that is quite old and the pipes are definitely rusty. Without a filter, you can actually see the water has a slight brownish tinge on a bad day. So, yes, filters really do make a difference.

And I always boil water before drinking.

Is that something you would recommend in general for HK? I plan on living there for a year or two and I've never thought twice about tap water.

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 23
The water in HK is generally OK. The common practise is to boil (I know in the US many drink directly from the tap). If you live in a new building, you will probably be OK. I live in a 30 year old building so pipes are rusty and there really isn't a whole lot I can do about it.

I think it is a trend (more lifestyle than necessity) for people to install filters in Hong Kong - and they come in wide range of prices from cheaper ones installed on the facet taps to expensive and larger ones that are connected at the mains or under the faucet.

I now use 2 Panasonic filters (one in kitchen and one in bathroom) and they are decent.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 23
We have exceptionally good tap water in Scotland, very soft. I've never had to clean the elements of an electric kettle in my life. My friends who live in Edinburgh use a water filter though. So I guess its regional or urban/rural.

Anyway, our tap water tastes nice compared to other countries I've been to.

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I see a post of this nature I love it. I mean the water bottling company and the filter manufacturers have done a fantastic job at discrediting the water companies.

Very true. We use a PUR dispenser for taste only, municipal water almost everyhere is tested much more frequently and stringently than bottled water.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by atsang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brita>PUR. what do you guys think about that?

I owned a Brita filter and a PUR filter. I find the water from the PUR filter to taste better, which is mainly what I'm going for. So I disagree.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I see a post of this nature I love it. I mean the water bottling company and the filter manufacturers have done a fantastic job at discrediting the water companies.

Yes I am biased because I work in the water and wastewater business. However do not take my word for it, independent test show that bottle water may have some kind of contaminant that prevents it from meeting primary water drinking standards, while the tap water meets them. Go ahead and so a search you will be surprised!

As far as taste yes you either have chlorinated or chloraminated water. Some people are very sensitive to its odor/flavor.

For major cities like Miami I am sure that the water is of very high quality. When I lived in Lafayette Louisiana (I live in the suburb of Carencro now), I drank local tap water unfiltered because it tasted fine. Carencro's water, however, does not taste very good, so I use an on-faucet filter into a polycarbonate jug to have clean tasting cold water.

Smaller water facilities in small towns may not have the expertise, equipment, or local citizen expectations to make their water more pleasant.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For major cities like Miami I am sure that the water is of very high quality. When I lived in Lafayette Louisiana (I live in the suburb of Carencro now), I drank local tap water unfiltered because it tasted fine. Carencro's water, however, does not taste very good, so I use an on-faucet filter into a polycarbonate jug to have clean tasting cold water.

Smaller water facilities in small towns may not have the expertise, equipment, or local citizen expectations to make their water more pleasant.

Yes the water in Miami is very good, and quite inexpensive compared with the region and the nation. Where I work (not Miami) we are convertin one of our plants to Nano Membrane technology. It will further improve the quality of the water we produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back