Watching Cable TV via Cable Internet?
Dec 30, 2006 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Headphoneus Supremus
One day whilst I was reorganizing our den where there is a TV co-ax and Internet co-ax connection both coming from the same place I accidently hooked up the Internet cable connection to our TV. When I turned it on we got cable TV. Odd, because we didn't get cable tv for a while now. I set it back so the TV got sat again but my question is.... Is it legal or illegal to watch cable tv from that connection? If it is legal, will they know I'm watching TV and will they contact me about it?

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 4
I've heard of this happening.

Not sure if it's 'illegal' since they are supplying the signal. Also not sure if there is a way for them to filter the TV signal out. You are getting something for nothing, but who's fault is that? Theirs, for setting you connection up incorrectly?...or yours for taking advantage of it?

Personally, I'd continue to use it and, no, I don't think they can tell. Just don't call and complain if the service goes out during a storm.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 4
This is absolutely not illegal and a little known loophole in many cable providers' service. Once you choose "internet only" or "phone+internet", the cable provider will either:
1 - require you to turn in your cable box and do nothing else
2 - require you to turn in your cable box and install in-line "traps" to prevent you from watching TV channels above 13.

Either way, what you receive is what you are getting with your current level of service; enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back