Watch under $500 used/secondhand/whatever
Jun 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

freckling

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new watch and could certainly use suggestions.  I'm doubtful I'll get it in the very near future, but it doesn't hurt to plan it out or start looking now.  I'm looking for a thin (since I'm pretty thin myself) and understated watch.  I've attached a picture of the one I use now and it's served me well since high school for the past 7 years, but I could use a change.

I'd find any suggestions extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 16
i hate wearing anything jewelry like, no watches, no rings, no piercings, no chains. The only expensive precious metals I have is my grandfathers gold coin collection 24 solid gold coins from around the world. Most are from Spain.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 16
I've never had a watch where I was looking for thin or understated so I guess I'll just give you some possible sources.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=247781
This contains a good list of deal of the day sites for new watches. You can go through those once a day if you're curious. Prices should be ok, but used watches can be cheaper and better deals, located here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Ebay have a good deal of watches, easiest if you have a brand in mind because there are a lot of crap around there. You do take a risk if you buy a used watch because no matter how big the scratch they will list it as "slightly scratched". Don't get the buy it now ones either, their prices are just about always bad.

Amazon are pretty much your only source of reviews for cheaper watches. Their price can be used as a source of reference but it's better to go to http://www.pricetrace.com/
and see what their lowest prices have been.

Hope it helps. You should be able to get good looking watches < 150, for your proposed budget of 500 you have a HUGE spectrum to look at so think carefully. I suggest you set your mind on a movement; I prefer kinetic or solar, but I see you already have a solar. Casio watches that are solar wavecepters are solar and unbeatably accurate but they're thick too. Anyways, hf on your search.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 16
Here. Save yourself some money and buy nice pair of headphone like the denon ah-d5000 or HD 650 instead.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I absolutely love Mondaine watches, this company is responsible for the railway station clocks.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I probably should have said the style of my watch is what I'm looking for in my new one.  To be honest, I can't say I like the way Mondaine watches look, but thanks anyway =)  I've actually been looking at Omega Constellations and Hamiltons lately

Quote:
I've got an ecodrive too!

hi-five :D

Quote:
i hate wearing anything jewelry like, no watches, no rings, no piercings, no chains. The only expensive precious metals I have is my grandfathers gold coin collection 24 solid gold coins from around the world. Most are from Spain.

Interesting comment, not sure how it helps, unless you're telling me not to buy a watch? 

Quote:

Thanks, but I am super-wary of buying these types of things off of Ebay.  I'll keep my eyes peeled though.  Also, interesting watch deals listing.

Quote:
Www.timezone.com

I ran into that site earlier and have been keeping tabs.  Thanks though

Quote:
Here. Save yourself some money and buy nice pair of headphone like the denon ah-d5000 or HD 650 instead.

I already own a decent pair of headphones (ms2i) but am more a speaker person than headphone person, and $400-500 wouldn't really help in that department anyway

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Jun 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 16
Similar?
http://www.watchzworld.com/swiss_army_infantry_automatic_24695.htm

Waait, you're not OP
blink.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Didnt find anything you like in the HUGE watch thread over at Gear-fi? Also there's a good chance you will get some solid recommendations over there instead of ppl saying spend it on headphones.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Hamilton makes a wide variety decent mechanical watches for affordable prices.

EDIT: The timezone.com Sales Corner is an excellent source for preowned watches.

Yup, I've been looking at those.

Quote:

I think I'm not a big fan of have all 12 numbers on the watch, but movado-type watches are too minimalist and distinct (as in everyone from 10 feet away can recognize movado watch)

Quote:
Here. Thin and nice and doesn't attract attention. A bit over the budget though.

haha, that watch is amazing

Quote:
Didnt find anything you like in the HUGE watch thread over at Gear-fi? Also there's a good chance you will get some solid recommendations over there instead of ppl saying spend it on headphones.

yup, that's how i got the idea of trying to find vintage omega constellations.  the thread is monster, but i really should probably look through the entire thing.

It's probably more appropriate there, so I'll divert my attention to that thread.  Thanks for all your help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back