Watch TV?
Apr 28, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 23
I haven't watched TV since I started college back in 2000.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I'm really surprised at the poll results. Has TV become that bad?

I kicked the habit in 1999. It got to the point where the national news would lead with something like a celebrity divorce. Nothing personal against celebrities, but I just don't care. Between the endless avalanche of celebrity coverage and little good to watch, I turned it off.

It was one of the best choices I ever made. Began reading lots of books, took up some new hobbies, restored a truck, and got another degree, among other things.

I will watch a sports game here and there with other people. I've flipped it on a few times in hotel rooms, too. But I don't miss TV at all and can't ever see picking up the habit again. If I need non-interactive entertainment, I'll listen to the radio.

Ironically, one project I pursued was the restoration of a 1955 General Electric black and white TV set- it has vacuum tubes! And only $5! Got it working, checked for broadcast reception, then turned it off. Every so often, I'll feed it an old B&W movie off the computer for fun. Love the set (and it was a great learning experience) but it's a shame the medium has become so rotten.

that's one reason why i'm so sick of tv nowadays, too much news about celebrities and their silly sqabbles, divorces or whatnot that has no connection to reality. most local news programs don't have anything interesting to say and seem to only talk about the suffering of people with little to no content. typical broadcast programs are pretty boring to me also. i could care less about it all. i find NPR so much more interesting.

after college, i stopped watching tv on regular basis and nowadays i spend my time here on head-fi, reading, practicing guitar, listening to music or something that i'm more interested in. on occasion i will watch shows on food network/discovery/national geographic/history channel, rally or formula 1 on speed channel or some random chinese programming.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #19 of 23
I used to watch tv occasionally or whenever I was doing math, but now that I'm at college and the only tv is in the basement I hardly watch at all. I watch a lot more series on dvd though. Its a nice break in the middle of a long study day and its a nice way to spend time with friends who are usually just a worn out as I am.

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 23
Very little now these day's.I pay for directv every month and yet watch less than 5 hours a week
confused.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 23
I don't own one either. I sometimes watch it over at GF's place but only because she's watching. Don't get me wrong, I would own a 92 inch plasma screen but only to watch DVDs with. TV basically sucks. I love an old show with a pointed ear guy named Spock, and definitely HBO's "ROME" is the best show on television history (no pun intended). Oh yeah, I love funny cartoons, but I can live without them.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #22 of 23
I have cable, but watch only about 10 hours of TV a month. I actually went a whole year without cable a couple of years back and didn't really miss not watching TV all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back