WATCH HISTORY. FIRST HUMAN SUPERSONIC SPACE JUMP
Oct 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 11
...Wait what is this I don't even

Good thing they aborted it. "Hey, let's jump down from space so every molecule in my body can burst into flames!" Right.

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 11
You guys know this has been done before (multiple times), back in the 1950s, right? Also, "every molecule burst into flames" is highly inaccurate.

Regarding the whole sound-barrier thing, I'm too lazy to figure out if Kittinger technically did or didn't break the sound barrier. He hit 614 mph in freefall (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=562), which is a standing record. The speed of sound is 768mph, at 68* F on the ground. It decreases up to around 10km though, there's a chart from Wikipedia that shows the entire relationship: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Comparison_US_standard_atmosphere_1962.svg

He jumped from around 30km, which correlates to ~300m/s or around 670 mph. So I'm guessing he did not break the sound barrier during his descent (even if hit that 614mph figure at 10km, and even if 10km correlated with 290m/s (which it doesn't), he'd still be about 15m/s short)).

But still, 614mph in freefall sounds plenty scary.

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
You guys know this has been done before (multiple times), back in the 1950s, right? They didn't break the sound-barrier, but they came pretty close. Also, "every molecule burst into flames" is highly inaccurate.

People tend to exaggerate when they see something so utterly pointless and benign. Please explain why this is ever worth putting money and effort into (not my money, but hey) 

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 11
People tend to exaggerate when they see something so utterly pointless and benign. Please explain why this is ever worth putting money and effort into (not my money, but hey) 

It was for testing parachute and atmospheric survival equipment for pilots, and eventually astronauts. They ran four or five total tests in the late 1950s (and 1960). It was a pre-runner to the space program. Red Bull is probably just doing this for publicity though.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 11
No haha when it was during live stream around 11 Pacific time. I just got home from studying so there's a 8 hour gap from then and now

oic.

Well, at least you can watch the Manhigh and Excelsior videos. :xf_eek: Although admittedly, the high-altitude scene in the first Iron Man is a lot more interesting and entertaining. If a little bit glib.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
oic.
Well, at least you can watch the Manhigh and Excelsior videos.
redface.gif
Although admittedly, the high-altitude scene in the first Iron Man is a lot more interesting and entertaining. If a little bit glib.

Haha yea Iron Man!!! Why do you think I made a DIY Arc Reactor? I was crazy about that movie, even though people thought it was corny, cheesy, "typical" hollywood, and a "kids" movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back