Watch-Fi, problem with glow in the dark
Sep 10, 2007 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a pretty nice Tissot watch. However, the glow in the dark material on the arms (not sure if im using correct names) doesn't really glow in the dark. Sometimes it glows when there is plenty of light, but doesn't glow in the dark. It has been like that since I got it a year ago, but never bothered to do anything about it.
Is there a way to "charge" it? Should I contact Tissot?

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pretty nice Tissot watch. However, the glow in the dark material on the arms (not sure if im using correct names) doesn't really glow in the dark. Sometimes it glows when there is plenty of light, but doesn't glow in the dark. It has been like that since I got it a year ago, but never bothered to do anything about it.
Is there a way to "charge" it? Should I contact Tissot?

It's probably superluminova. After fully charging, it'll only give usable light for about 30 minutes, less depending on age. Brightness drops very quickly, exponential decay curve style.

Sep 10, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You started another watch thread, after posting in the already existing one?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71892

At least your thread title could be more specific.

-Ed

I think that thread is for showing off your watch and then discussing it. I made a new one so that one doesnt go WAY off topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably superluminova. After fully charging, it'll only give usable light for about 30 minutes, less depending on age. Brightness drops very quickly, exponential decay curve style.

How can I see if mine is superluminova?
This link explains well how it works http://www.reactorwatch.com/nvd.html

Sep 10, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I see if mine is superluminova?
This link explains well how it works http://www.reactorwatch.com/nvd.html

Put watch under bright light.
Leave for a few minutes.
Bring into dark area.

biggrin.gif

If it fades after a few minutes, it's superluminova. I don't think recent Tissot watches use other lume compounds.

If it doesn't fade after a few minutes, it's tritium.

If it never charges, or doesn't glow in the dark, I'd guess it's defective.

Oh yeah, "glow in the dark material on the arms (not sure if im using correct names)" is called lume.

Sep 10, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 16
Tritium is a radioactive gas that always stays illuminated with a decay time of about 7+ years. Tritium does not need to be "charged" with light light superluminova.

Different watches have different "strengths" of lume depending on the material used, the amount of material used, and the age of the material. Here's a pretty cool thread from another forum showing different watches over the course of about an hour. The center watch is luminova - the outside watches are tritium.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=81978

GAD

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 16
You need a new watch
very_evil_smiley.gif
I bought a Special Ops Black Hawk recently and this is the best watch I have ever owned... I use the light features all the time, very cool!

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tritium is a radioactive gas that always stays illuminated with a decay time of about 7+ years. Tritium does not need to be "charged" with light light superluminova.

Different watches have different "strengths" of lume depending on the material used, the amount of material used, and the age of the material. Here's a pretty cool thread from another forum showing different watches over the course of about an hour. The center watch is luminova - the outside watches are tritium.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=81978

GAD

Wow! Great link. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 16
Tritium is great. It doesn't glow quite as bright as freshly charged superluminova but I'd rather have it glowing all the time than brightly just for a few minutes.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tritium is great. It doesn't glow quite as bright as freshly charged superluminova but I'd rather have it glowing all the time than brightly just for a few minutes.

x2 my tritium navy seals watch has glowed since 97' and it doesnt seem to depreciated or degraded in brightness, the 10 year glow warranty is now over, but this thing will probably carry on for god knows how much longer.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Tritium has a predictable half life - I think it's 12 years. They use it in gun sights and the sights need to be replaced after about that long.

GAD

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tritium has a predictable half life - I think it's 12 years. They use it in gun sights and the sights need to be replaced after about that long.

GAD

i will let you know, in a few years if its still behaving!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 16
FYI, Quote:

Tritium is hydrogen with two extra neutrons. That is, the nucleus is one proton and two neutrons instead of just a plain proton like normal hydrogen. Deuterium (see below) is hydrogen with only one extra neutron. Tritium is radioactive, while deuterium and hydrogen are not.
Tritium has two main uses: Thermonuclear weapons and glow in the dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back