washing headphone pads?
Nov 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
not sure if this is in the correct section or not..i read a few posts that mention washing pads off of headphones, especially those bought used. i was just wondering how this should be done? simply washed with water and allowed to air dry? i have a pair of senn 580's that i bought a few weeks back and was thinking about giving the pads a wash as recommended, but wasn't sure how. thanks.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 8
okay cool. thanks!

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soak them in detergent water for about an hour or so, rinse off with water, squeeze most of the water out and leave it to dry in the air. Enjoy.

I used a variation to get the water out - spin cycle only, in a washing machine. In my experience, washing pads work for those fabric type pads only. Grado type pads, ie entirely made of foam without fabric cover, should not be washed. They fall apart quite quickly after washing. No idea why.

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a variation to get the water out - spin cycle only, in a washing machine. In my experience, washing pads work for those fabric type pads only. Grado type pads, ie entirely made of foam without fabric cover, should not be washed. They fall apart quite quickly after washing. No idea why.

alright, so the 580 pads should be fine to wash right?

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Seems to me spinning the pads in the washing machine causes it. I have had zero issues with hand-washing pads, whether it be Grado or Senn ones.

Regards.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me spinning the pads in the washing machine causes it. I have had zero issues with hand-washing pads, whether it be Grado or Senn ones.

Regards.

Nope, didn't need to spin the Grado pads. But never mind, my single pair of pads may not be the norm. Never tried it again and sold the Grado soon after.

BTW - I spun the pads by themselves in the washing machine and position them carefully first. Didn't want to get lint on my precious pads. Of course my wife said she didn't want the yucky stains to get on her clothes too.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I have hand washed my Grados a few times already with no ill effects. Note though I do NOT scrub them or ring them at all. Just soak in a warm water with light detergent and gently squeeze them a few times to work the soap and water through them, then do the same thing in straight water to rinse and then let air dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back