WASAPI vs ASIO vs Kernel Streaming
Jan 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

guyben

Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm using an OPPO HA-2SE DAC via Jriver.
Was wondering if anyone's noticed difference in quality or sound signatures when using these output methods.
I know there shouldn't be any difference technically but for some reason it seems KS clearer, punchier sound while WASAPI produces a wider soundstage.

It might somehow be all subjective but I noticed the difference after mistakenly and unknowingly I changed the output methods to KS and didn't understand what had changed. The change was so noticable I checked to see if I somehow changed my EQ settings.

Anyone else noticed similar results?

Guy

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 6
different OS different DACs can work better with one method.
for example, your device doesn't seem to come with asio drivers, so already that's one less question. ^_^  (asio4all isn't asio and isn't recommended if you have other methods available).
about KS and wasapi, I have some bugs with KS so I don't use it. it's really as simple as that. if I had troubles with wasapi I would use KS.

about sound differences, those protocols may or may not be set to output the same sample rate. like asio by default goes at the max of the device. this could be one reason. another could be that you're using wasapi not in exclusive mod(other sounds can still come while playing music like a utube video?). if so you still end up with the mixer involved when it's what you supposedly try to avoid using a so called bit perfect solution.

so to keep it short, yes you can probably end up with them all sounding different, just like with the proper settings you can end up with all the choices sounding the same(and differences really limited to the very last bits on measurements). my advice, use what works for you and don't worry
wink_face.gif
if you do worry, set up a measurement rig(your sound card if good enough might suffice) and test different solutions until you find the one that measures best(might not be the one you prefer though).

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 6

Yes, similar results, except that bigger soundstage was not present. Kernel streaming was clearly better through my Devialet DAC/amp.
It was actually the first time I'd tried KS and was surprised to hear such a big difference. Jriver 22 was used.

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes, similar results, except that bigger soundstage was not present. Kernel streaming was clearly better through my Devialet DAC/amp.
It was actually the first time I'd tried KS and was surprised to hear such a big difference. Jriver 22 was used.
Same experience here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back