WASAPI in iTunes causes Static
Jun 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iNcontroL

New Head-Fier
So, I found out that iTunes has Wasapi built in by switching from Direct Sound to Windows Audio Session. It worked fine for a while until I installed my new video cards (Upgraded from 580 SLI to 780 SLI). Now every time I use Windows Audio Session in iTunes it causes static, crackling, and distortion every 10 seconds or so. It's pretty random.

Now this problem is fixed if I switch back to Directsound, but I'm curious as to why iTunes can't use WASAPI. I use the WASAPI plugin in Winamp and that works fine, but a lot of the songs I've bought through iTunes are AAC Protected, so I can't listen to them in Winamp.

Currently running Windows 7 64bit with Titanium HD and iTunes 11.3. Bitrate is set to 44.1 kHz and Bits per Sample is set to 24.

I wonder if this is related to the Titanium HD card itself, because another problem I've been suffering through since I bought the card two years ago has been that after listening to audio for a while on say iTunes, then switching to a Youtube video or Winamp can cause the sound to create a large amount of static and distortion that will stay until I either switch modes in Creative Control Panel or completely restart my computer.

Any help on both these problems would be appreciated.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 6
Try changing to 16-bit output. And if your video card has an hdmi output, check to see if it appears under Sound Devices, and disable it. Other than that, I don't know

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Try changing to 16-bit output. And if your video card has an hdmi output, check to see if it appears under Sound Devices, and disable it. Other than that, I don't know

None of that changed a thing. All my other audio devices were already disabled or uninstalled through Device Manager and BIOS. Changing it to 16bit Output didn't help either, but as soon as I changed it back from WASAPI to Directsound it lost all the distortion. I'm really at a loss as to what's causing this problem.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Bump

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Not an iTunes user (never used it really only foobar) but i think this should answer some questions:
http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/itunes-11-02-playback-bitrate/

I honestly hate iTunes now and much prefer Winamp. Unfortunately, quite a bit of the music I purchased over the years from iTunes, especially the older songs are Protected AAC Audio Files so I have no choice. As far as the article goes I have everything on my computer set to 44.1 kHz at 24bit for Bit-Perfect Playback and those settings are matched in iTunes with Windows Audio Session and in Winamp with WASAPI Output, so there shouldn't be any incompatibility issues with up/downsampling. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back