WASAPI in Foobar not working for me
Jul 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

angle_sh00ter

500+ Head-Fier
"Unrecoverable playback error: Could not open device: unsupported data format: 96000 Hz / 24 bit / 2 channels"

That is the error message I get when I try to play any mp3 of FLAC file in foobar.  If I set the output device in foobar to "DS : Speakers (devilsound DAC) then I get no problem playing the files
But when I change the output device to "WASAPI: Speakers (devilsound DAC) I get the error message. 

So it seems I can't use wasapi with my devilsound dac?  Any1 got an idea whats going wrong?

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 18
Does the Devilsound accept 24/96 over USB?

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 18
You'll have to resample the offending file then.

See the DAC recording link in my sig, Essence STX (and most dacs/cards in general) is transparent, and clearly your DAC has an inferiority problem.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 18
Go download SoX Resampler component for Foobar, then set it up in the first step in the DSP chain, and set the feq to 44.1.  This should leave the output of MOST files untouched, but solve your problem.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Go download SoX Resampler component for Foobar, then set it up in the first step in the DSP chain, and set the feq to 44.1.  This should leave the output of MOST files untouched, but solve your problem.

Not sure how to set it up.  When I extracted the rar file i got too folders 1 called normal and the other named SSE2

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Not sure how to set it up.  When I extracted the rar file i got too folders 1 called normal and the other named SSE2

Go into the SSE2 folder, and copy the FIRST file (not the mod .dlls) to the Foobar components folder.  Then set it up as I said.  Restart foobar, open the DSP chain, add the SoX Resampler, move it to the top, and configure it to resample to 44.1khz.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 18
Now do this.  Right click the little speaker on your taskbar, and hit Playback Devices.  Right-click the Devilsound DAC, hit properties, go to Advanced, and make sure the sample rate is set to 16bit/44.1khz.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 18
Weird.  And is the Devilsound set as the primary device?

As long as Foobar is set to output at 16bit, and you did as I said with the SoX Resampler, moving it to the top of the active DSP chain...  I'm at a loss for more.

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 18
its got a green tick under it and I disabled the onboard. Its really weird.... maybe its something to do with the dac or something

and yes SoX is at top of the list.  when i click on it this is what i see

"44100, Quality: very High,
passband: 95%
and allow aliasing is not checked.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 18
Ok i uninstalled foobar and then downloaded again and then followed your steps then restarted the PC and now it plays through wasapi output but there is such a terrible crackling sound it is unbearable.  So after all that I don't know what to do I guess I just can't use wasapi - what other alternatives is there for me.  My O/S is vista home premium 64 bit.  Thanks for your help hybris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back