WASAPI / ASIO4ALL / KS in general causes lag
Jun 23, 2016 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Defenz0r

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i wonder why WASAPI in (exclusive mode) does so much lag for me.

Even for my Frametimes (those are delayed)
How it looks now(bad)
https://embed.gyazo.com/041254b2cff028e5924a4dcb8a94c6f0.png

How should it look at least?
https://embed.gyazo.com/02d9d1dec6e2115f16e45d02e3980ebf.png

What i tested

- Switching to DirectSound actually doesn't lag
- Using different Media Players
- using 16 Bit 44.100khz
- WASAPI with non exclusive mode which is actually senseless LOL (decreases Lag)
- ASIO4ALL (same problems as WASAPI)

What i think how it causes it

WASAPI is being prioritized. If there is buffering frametimes and Keyboard Inputs have a lower priority and will issued after WASAPI queue is finished.

Why i think it's a problem

As for competitive Gaming i have trouble with timing now. With using DirectSound the problem is washed away. But WASAPI should be superior and not inferior.
Is there anything i can do?

Regards

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 8
I use Traktor Pro 2 with Native Instruments Soundcard for Audio playback over ASIO. It is a DJ-program with 32-bit floating point audio engine and realtime processing. It was not easy to configure, but sounds really better than every mediaplayer I heard and no lags :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 8
The real question is why would You use WASAPI for gaming in the first place? It doesn't provide any tactical advantage whatsoever and won't help to improve the quality of the samples.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Thats true that it doesn't provide tactical advantage. But my Device doesnt support native ASIO.
Soon i can test a device which provides native ASIO support. Maybe that will change things.
KernelStreaming, ASIO4ALL,WASAPI arent good enough in terms of latency. If you look at the Image you can tell that it lags even frametimes.

I just wanna use something better than DirectSound. Because DirectSound goes over the Windows Audio Mixer.

While Playing Games, i often listening to my Local Music Library without Game Sound.
Im no Shooter Player so its okay for me.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 8
You can't simultaneously play a game and listen to music when using ASIO/WASAPI/KS. Entire point of these technologies is to provide applications with exclusive access to the device. If You have an audible lag when playing video games it might be a problem with Your CPU being too slow to process audio fast enough. Since Windows Vista audio has to be calculated by the CPU and not by the sound card.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 8
  You can't simultaneously play a game and listen to music when using ASIO/WASAPI/KS. Entire point of these technologies is to provide applications with exclusive access to the device. If You have an audible lag when playing video games it might be a problem with Your CPU being too slow to process audio fast enough. Since Windows Vista audio has to be calculated by the CPU and not by the sound card.

Why is that?
If i dont want sound in my Game but Audio from my audio Player it wouldn't be okay?

Here are my System Specs
Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz    39 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
    16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-UD3H (Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz)    28 °C
Graphics
    VP2770 SERIES (2560x1440@59Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (MSI)    36 °C
Storage
    5589GB Western Digital WDC WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 (SATA)    36 °C
    5589GB Western Digital WDC WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 (SATA)    38 °C
    5589GB Western Digital WDC WD60EFRX-68TGBN1 (SATA)    38 °C
    111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (SSD)    38 °C
Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
Audio
    O2ODAC

My system isnt to weak for handling that.

If you want to approve do the following:

1. Download and install Fraps and FRAFS Bench Viewer
2. Open your Audio Player and start an WASAPI Playback, make sure WASAPI is in exclusive Mode
3. Open Fraps go to FPS and set an Benchmarking Hotkey, Mark Stop Benchmark after 60 seconds. Make under Benchmark Settings FPS,Frametimes MinMaxAvg is checked.
4. Open Any application where the Fraps FPS counter shows up
5. Press your Benchmarking Hotkey
6. Wait till 60 seconds are over.
7. Repeat that procedere without WASAPI Playback
8. Your Benchmarks should be under C:\Fraps\Benchmarks
9. Post both of the Benchmarks here

Side Note: I did test that whole thing with virtual audio devices on different Windows versions and it concludes that those technologies are a real hindrance and does make the system lag. Delayed Frametimes is a real pain because it basically means you are in a disadvantage because all of what you do is processed delayed and you have several FPS drops/losses. I couldnt test a real ASIO driver yet. But that comes in some weeks.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 8
  Why is that?
If i dont want sound in my Game but Audio from my audio Player it wouldn't be okay?
  Side Note: I did test that whole thing with virtual audio devices on different Windows versions and it concludes that those technologies are a real hindrance and does make the system lag. Delayed Frametimes is a real pain because it basically means you are in a disadvantage because all of what you do is processed delayed and you have several FPS drops/losses. I couldnt test a real ASIO driver yet. But that comes in some weeks.

In that case it will be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back