Was I scammed both times?
Apr 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Drake22

100+ Head-Fier
Not so long ago I've bought 2 different headphones from 2 different sellers here on For Sale forums. But I've not received either of them, and since I was stupid enough to pay with Paypal gift, I couldn't open a dispute or get my money back.

The first one, W1000X, was bought from here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538407/f-s-used-pair-of-audio-technica-ath-w1000x-s
I looked up older feedback, the guy had about 5 positive entries, so looked decent. We've agreed on $450 shipped from Canada to UK, he said for that price he's gonna use surface mail and quoted me 3 weeks. Since I wasn't in a rush, I didn't mind waiting 3 weeks to save some money. I was given some dodgy item number " cpu2468397545eu" which was never working or trackable. Anyway 3 weeks later I found out that Canada Surface Mail estimated time is 4 to 6 weeks, so OK, I've waited more, but never received the headphones still. I paid on 8th of February, and headphones were supposedly shipped on 10th; but now its 18th of April, so yeah... However, the guy keeps in touch, apologizing, saying he started the claim etc. etc., but nothing certain... Also, interesting enough, he sold the same pair of headphones a year ago here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470350/f-s-week-old-ath-w1000x with the same message body, and explains it in this post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538407/f-s-used-pair-of-audio-technica-ath-w1000x-s#post_7259232

The second headphone, AKG k702, I had a WTB thread and a guy contacted me saying the he is willing to sell his K702 with black dragon cable and revelation audio labs silver cable. Feedback was decent again, we've agreed on $425 shipped from US to UK, I paid on 4th of March, took him a while to ship, but he shipped on 10th of March, and now 18th of April - no headphones received. When I asked if there is a proof of postage or tracking number, he said that headphones were shipped through auto shipping machine and he didn't keep the receipt :/ Since there is no surface mail in USPS service, the headphones should ve arrived after 2 business weeks tops, maybe 3 max, but now it's been 6 weeks. He did later give me a screenshot of his bank statement, which is just showing that there is a USPS charge of 45 dollars on 10th of March, but that could be any parcel anywhere right? Anyway he also keeps in touch, and was trying to find out what happened with the parcel for me, but unsuccessfully. He has also offered me $200 refund to split the losses which I didn't take yet... It's nice from him, but...

So what do you think guys?
Do you think it was a postal error/theft or was I scammed? I've tried calling UK postal services trying to find out if there is anything held for my postcode, maybe at customs, but no result.

Anyway, such a bad experience... -$875 and couldn't do anything about it. A lesson for me to never pay in Paypal gift...

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 3
If they're staying in contact with you, they're probably not scams.  Overseas shipping is notoriously slow.  I had a shipment from the UK (small bike part) take 2 months to get to me here in the States.  I bet you get your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back