Warped diafragm: how critical could that be?
Dec 9, 2005 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
The capsule on my K240DF has been damaged a bit:
attachment.php

How critical could that be to the sound? The damaged capsule starts to distort earlier, but that occurs on VERY loud bass sounds. Should I take any measures to cure that, or better leave the diafragm "as is"?

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 6
If there isn't much of a difference, I wouldn't worry about it. However, it may be fixable. I have heard of people taking a small, rolled up piece of duct tape, and GENTLY sticking it to the depressed area and GENTLY pulling it back up. It might be something worth trying.

Dec 9, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Actually, instead of duct tape, masking tape works just as well IMO and is safer.

Have you tested before whether the same driver in undamaged form also distorted before the other driver with the same bass test? Usually, with most headphones, one starts distorting before the other with large enough bass signals even fresh out of the box, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most likely even without the damage the driver probably would have distorted before the other driver anyway.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Have you tested before whether the same driver in undamaged form also distorted before the other driver with the same bass test?

No, it seems like the warp had appeared before i buyed that 'phones. Used, for about half the price of a new pair. Previous owner told me they had been in use for about a year. I suspect they're somewhat older - earpads are worn way too much compared to my K240M's.
Tried the same trick on M's - they overdrive symmetrically, but no rattling distortions are there despite of much more bass pressure.

Dec 11, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 6
I find it very unlikely that this dent would be audible. A crack is very different, even a hairline crack is plainly audible but on the grand scale of things that dent would be probably less damaging then leaving the dustcap off a speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back