warning, win10 and 3rd party media players
Jul 15, 2017 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
all of the 3rd party media players mess up the os after 40 minutes of playback do to tsr's in the os affecting explorer.exe. finally some nice programmers fixed it over at the jriver forum, must sign up free. not only for jriver by any means. first some guy wrote a vbs script you must compile. forget that. search the jriver forum for suspend process killer plugin and get .02 version. it works fine but he plans to develop it more.

symptoms are things like start button not working, Cortana and search not working, edge will not launch or crashes by turning black and others. I doubt ms cares as they want us to use wmp which of course is not affected.

I hope this helps anyone.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 11
Hmmm . . . I'm running the latest version of win10 and have had no problems whatsoever. Wonder what's driving your issues.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 11
I been using windows 10 since the first release and I never had an 3rd party media player damage my os. I even used Jriver media player and nothing happen. It has to be something on your end. Because this the first time I ever heard of it.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 11
well, go read at the jriver forum. obviously enough people had the issues to prompt two people to program a fix. I actually have had a problem with several versions of windows and do with creators. used the fix and it works fine again. I wish I had found that sooner. I also had a number of windows builds that worked fine.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 11
I Also have never had any issue on any 3rd party media player in windows 10. and i even alpha and beta tested all windows versions back to windows xp. Cant believe i have been a microsoft partner that long. Now i use musicbee, vlc, powerdvd, and zero issues with them.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 11
I am another one who has had this problem with JRiver since Windows 10 was first released. After playing music or videos for about an hour my Start button no longer works. Fortunately a reboot corrects the problem. But as any JRiver user comes to realize, nothing is ever JRiver's fault so it must be a Windows problem, Right! I personally believe the problem is hardware related so I am surprised I have the problem, my system is pretty simple. I have a Dell Studio XPS desktop with Core I7 processor and a basic ASUS Graphics card. I don't have any exotic software installed, just the Office Suite and a few audio programs. But there is clearly something in my system that JRiver doesn't like because that is the only program that causes the problem.

To those "doubting Thomas" that don't believe that this is a real problem I would only suggest that you consider that while you may not have a problem other may not be so fortunate.

OP, thanks for reminding me that this solution is out there. I tried it about a year ago and thought that the cure was a bad as the disease. I may give it another try to see if it has improved. Frankly this problem has caused me to stop using JRiver very much. I have started using other programs like VLC, Foobar, Music Bee, etc. but I would still prefer to use JRiver if it didn't freeze my Start button.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 11
I am another one who has had this problem with JRiver since Windows 10 was first released. After playing music or videos for about an hour my Start button no longer works. Fortunately a reboot corrects the problem. But as any JRiver user comes to realize, nothing is ever JRiver's fault so it must be a Windows problem, Right! I personally believe the problem is hardware related so I am surprised I have the problem, my system is pretty simple. I have a Dell Studio XPS desktop with Core I7 processor and a basic ASUS Graphics card. I don't have any exotic software installed, just the Office Suite and a few audio programs. But there is clearly something in my system that JRiver doesn't like because that is the only program that causes the problem.

To those "doubting Thomas" that don't believe that this is a real problem I would only suggest that you consider that while you may not have a problem other may not be so fortunate.

OP, thanks for reminding me that this solution is out there. I tried it about a year ago and thought that the cure was a bad as the disease. I may give it another try to see if it has improved. Frankly this problem has caused me to stop using JRiver very much. I have started using other programs like VLC, Foobar, Music Bee, etc. but I would still prefer to use JRiver if it didn't freeze my Start button.

I am using a laptop and basically only has MS office, videolan & JR and nothing else and I still have this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back