WARNING! AUDIO-GD POWER CORDS IMPROPERLY WIRED!
Jul 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #18 of 58

Quote:
Mate I took a look at your first picture, are you sure you didn't balls it up? You're measuring neutral there.

Yes, you're right, it's neutral. My bad.

But the salient point is that it's still tied to IEC hot and IEC neutral is connected to mains hot.

se

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #19 of 58

Quote:

U.S. plugs are wired differently.  This has been said numerous times already.  And it doesn't matter which contact is being measured.  Live must go to live, neutral must go to neutral, and earth must go to earth.

No, what he means is that the probe is on the neutral blade, not the hot blade as I had said in my post.

se

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 58

Quote:
I think this is what he trying to say in simple terms. Correct me if I am wrong.

2                                    2
1              3                   1                 3                is correct

2                                     2
1              3                   3                   1              is wrong

That's correct.

se

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #24 of 58

Quote:
Mate I took a look at your first picture, are you sure you didn't balls it up? You're measuring neutral there.

he is indeed, but it doesnt matter what the words say, its switched. there is no continuity between neutral and neutral, but there is continuiity between neutral and hot

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #25 of 58
Quote:
Yes, it is.  These are U.S. PLUGS.  Not AU/NZ PLUGS.

That would explain a great many deal, I didn't know they/we switched it around.
tongue.gif

In which case, they've ballsed it up.

Edi: My Australian cord checked out fine by the way, but from the looks of things, they have not done the US ones properly.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #26 of 58

Quote:
That would explain a great many deal, I didn't know they/we switched it around.
tongue.gif

In which case, they've ballsed it up.

Edi: My Australian cord checked out fine by the way, but from the looks of things, they have not done the US ones properly.

Whenever making a power cord for a certain country, it is important to know the wiring scheme for that country.  It is also important to have a liability insurance policy if one sells power cords.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #30 of 58

Quote:
^Could you translate that for the electrically illiterate?

Many appliances switch and safety-protect the hot wire only. Imagine a correctly wired toaster - when the toaster is turned 'off', the hot is effectively disconnected right where the power enters the unit. Nothing inside is live, until the circuit is completed by pushing the bread down.

Now imagine an incorrectly wired toaster with the hot and neutral swapped. The whole inside of the toaster is live, and the circuit could easily be completed by you touching the inside of it.

This is why I use double-fused IEC inlets in my projects. You never know when somebody is going to make complete balls of something upstream of your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back