warmest, darkest yet detailed 12au7 or 12at7
May 15, 2005 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LOmac

New Head-Fier
what is in your opinion the warmest, darkest, and detailed 12au7 or 12at7? i realize every setup is different but i was wondering if there is one or several tubes that are regarded as fitting this description. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Sylvania seems to fit that bill. They are very detailed with great stage and bloom to the images, but are very warm and lush, almost to the point of syrupy, especially the grey palte versions, the black plates are a little more neutral but the greys are more musical and euphonic.

Some of the 12au7 subs are very good. I would recommend the sylvania 5814 grey plate gold brand with gold pins, that is a very nice tube that seems to fit your request based on my impressions.

May 15, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Trying colored tubes to counter other colorations is an exercise in frustration IMO, but if you gotta go that way..

RCA blackplate 12AU7's fit the description.

Mullard Ecc82/CV4003 also may help. It's more airy and forgiving but not as detailed/dense in midrange c/w RCA blackplates.

Valvo 6067 would also do well, but you won't be able to find them.

JJ 12AU7's also are nice and warm.

If you want warm and forgiving, don't go with Tungsram 12AU7, Siemens, Telefunkens, etc.

May 9, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Trying colored tubes to counter other colorations is an exercise in frustration IMO, but if you gotta go that way..

RCA blackplate 12AU7's fit the description.

Mullard Ecc82/CV4003 also may help. It's more airy and forgiving but not as detailed/dense in midrange c/w RCA blackplates.

Valvo 6067 would also do well, but you won't be able to find them.

JJ 12AU7's also are nice and warm.

If you want warm and forgiving, don't go with Tungsram 12AU7, Siemens, Telefunkens, etc.
Can you send me a link for the RCA blackplate 12AU7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back