Warmest amp for planars?
Sep 28, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 24
What you’re looking for is ANY amp from Garage1217.com. Ember or Sunrise would be ideal. Sunrise would be warmer.

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 24
I tried my Sundara’s on a Woo WA3+ and they sound awful imo. Of course its
A OTL amp. It will drive low impedance dynamic drivers just fine. My Grado’s sound amazing on it. For the Audeze and Hifiman I use a Geshelli amp. I really like this amp for them. Not saying it’s warm, it’s not but it a sound I like.

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 24
FWIW, I got into this hobby during COVID and found that warm sound signatures were my strong preference. I have 3 listening stations setup, two of them have a SS/Tube split. I have a Mimby/Magni Heresy Stack paired with a DarkVoice, as well as a 789 paired with both a Little Dot Mkii and a Bravo Ocean. So clean SS vs warm tubes. I just recently got the Bravo Ocean for $55 off Drop and I'm shocked how well it powers and pairs with my LCD2C. I like my Little Dot with the Sundara but the separation suffers (particularly compared to the DV). I like the idea of having both a clean SS and a warm tube for each station.

As much as I've enjoyed the LD Mkii, I think my next major purchase will be a higher-end tube amp. Currently ogling: Woo WA-2, Tor Balanced, Sunrise 3, Bottlehead S.E.X., APPJ 1502, or Breeze WBAE200.

I have LCD2Cs, Modhouse Argons and EMU Teaks so would like to find something that works for all of those (plus the Sundara, maybe, but I feel that's a losing battle). None of my cans are high impedance so it's eliminated the Crack and many others.

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #23 of 24
FWIW, I got into this hobby during COVID and found that warm sound signatures were my strong preference. I have 3 listening stations setup, two of them have a SS/Tube split. I have a Mimby/Magni Heresy Stack paired with a DarkVoice, as well as a 789 paired with both a Little Dot Mkii and a Bravo Ocean. So clean SS vs warm tubes. I just recently got the Bravo Ocean for $55 off Drop and I'm shocked how well it powers and pairs with my LCD2C. I like my Little Dot with the Sundara but the separation suffers (particularly compared to the DV). I like the idea of having both a clean SS and a warm tube for each station.

As much as I've enjoyed the LD Mkii, I think my next major purchase will be a higher-end tube amp. Currently ogling: Woo WA-2, Tor Balanced, Sunrise 3, Bottlehead S.E.X., APPJ 1502, or Breeze WBAE200.

I have LCD2Cs, Modhouse Argons and EMU Teaks so would like to find something that works for all of those (plus the Sundara, maybe, but I feel that's a losing battle). None of my cans are high impedance so it's eliminated the Crack and many others.
The Schiit Asgard 3 is very warm, quite resolving, casts a wide/deep soundstage, and at 500mw in class A/3.5watts in AB- plenty of power for my 35 ohm HiFiMAN HE400i's at just $200.00-with a 5 year warranty!!!

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 24

Ive got the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp and really recomend it. I use it with Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-2C closed back + Sennheiser HD6XX. Its a great little amp. I even got a pair of Fostex FE206E in back loaded horns hooked up to it, which sounds very good. The S.E.X. can drive low impedance headphones, but I would do the grounding mod for absolute silence and the C4S mod if running speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back