Warm, wide, not too bassy, $100 or less?
Sep 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
Something that sounds like my Fischer Audio FA-002W's (not that they are very wide, but I'd like something that is). What are my best options? I have never owned IEM's so I am completely lost. They will be used out of my iPhone 4 and I may spring for a Cmoy or CmoyBB to go along with them.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 23
I know you want something $100 or less but if you stretch it $50 you can get the RE262 which is warm, wide and not to bassy perfection.  I've only had mine since yesterday morning and I'm already starting to love them.

For $100 and under maybe the Fischer Silver Bullet or GR06 but both have decent bass responses but I wouldn't necessarily call them bass heavy though the Silver Bullet as a bit more than average.

Also the Fischer Tandems might work, they have a little less bass than the other 2 with a warm signature an a little bit better than average soundstage but it might not be wide enough for you.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should also apologize. I should have searched before posting as I now see there are several threads already. I was on my iPhone when I posted and the search function is a pain from my phone, so I didn't give it a try.

I have been looking a reviews for the RE262 and they look promising. I know I wanted to stay at around $100 but I can probably stretch the budget a little. I mostly put that number on it cause I didn't want recommendations of headphones costing hundreds...but I'd say $150 is my upper limit...possibly $200 if I could get bliss for that price, but that would definitely prohibit getting a portable amp if I needed one.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 23
My recommendation is the PFE 122 if you need the mic for your iPhone. If not the 112. Or if you want to save money, the 012 and buy filters separately.

X2 on the RE262 as well, a seriously overlooked IEM.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 23
Seems to be the consensus that the 262s need an amp to shine anyway. Maybe look into the JVC FXD80. Haven't heard it myself yet but it's on my radar and lots of people dig it. Joker gave it a great review in his massive review thread.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 23
Yeah if you don't have an amp or planning to get one the RE262 wont shine like it can.

For what your looking for the GR06 is probably the best option but don't sleep on the Fischer Silver Bullet, it has one of the widest soundstages under $100 with a warm signature.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 23
Hahaha almost forgot to mention that the RE262 needs a decent amp to reach it's potential. I found an amazing combo with my HM-602. Other good matches were JDSLabs C421 and Fiio E11.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 23
Thanks again. I'll look into those. One the amp...I was planning on getting a cmoy for now, just to try out. This will be a portable rig, I have a desktop setup so that's not an issue.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
My recommendation is the PFE 122 if you need the mic for your iPhone. 

Definitely don't need/want a mic. Just once more thing in the line to mess stuff up.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Joker gave it a great review in his massive review thread.

Have a link? I found the one by ClieOS which I am reading now.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Definitely don't need/want a mic. Just once more thing in the line to mess stuff up.

Even better. Audeo products are very well made and I think it's an excellent intro to IEMs. Extremely user friendly, extremely comfortable, great sound and a great price with the Perfect Bass 012. If you're planning on getting the 012, I really suggest getting the Grey and Black filters. The only difference between the 012 and PFE 112 is colour scheme and accessories (the 112 has more available tips and comes with both Grey and Black filters, while the 012 comes stock with the bass heavy Green filters). For below the $140 price, I cannot think of a better package IMO.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 23
A Cmoy amp would work great with the RE262 and if your planning on getting one than the RE262 is an excellent choice for the signature your looking for.

I had the PFE 112 and they might not have the warmth your looking for plus the soundstage is only average at best.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
A Cmoy amp would work great with the RE262 and if your planning on getting one than the RE262 is an excellent choice for the signature your looking for.

I had the PFE 112 and they might not have the warmth your looking for plus the soundstage is only average at best.

I find them to have a realistic soundstage and an honest representation of music. No, they aren't categorized as "warm" IEMs, but they do have a nice touch of warmth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back