Warm sounding - Closed Headphones <$300
Jan 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

canikickit1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Jumping into the full-sized headphone scene after being knee deep in the IEM scene (Currently have DUNU DN-1ks and XBA-40s on an imodded-CF-Flashed Ipod 5G)

I would like to have a full-sized headphone with great instrument seperation, imaging, great low-end and clarity.. all in a closed headphone (will be mostly using this in an office).

Any suggestions? Im looking for under $300.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

Sennheiser Momentum seem to be a solid pick. You can also read about SoundMagic HP-100, I've read good things about them.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp100-premium-over-the-ear-folding-headphones-black

Best Luck!

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 6
If you work in an open area (not a cubicle), then the senn momentum over-ear will work great with the constricted, but very comfortable, feel and keep you reminded on focusing your work.

If you work in an enclosed area (like a cubicle) and considering what you want, the audio technica ath-a900x will work great, though you will have to lightly bend the head supports to your head's characteristics over time. The metal cups might weigh down, so light bending is important.

If you already have an amp that will work with the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs (heard they are relatively easy to drive), then those cans will remain the most interesting of all three recommended so far.

Edit: I have heard of many good things about the soundmagic hp100 as well.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you guys for your suggestions!

I went ahead and purchased the ATH-A900X and am awaiting them Wednesday. I do have a JDS Labs C5 portable amp as well, however with the 42 ohms, they already seem easy to drive.

I did try the Mr.SpeakersMadDogs Headphones (non-alpha), and while very comfortable, felt that they were too big on my head and wanted a little more punch in the bass. They were extremely crisp and energetic however.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 6
I would be interested in hearing what you think of the A900X once you get them. I really, really *want* to like the A900X, because I really like the design - but I just didn't like what I heard. But, that's why there are so many headphones to choose from - we all have our own preferences!

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back