Warm Sounding Closed Back Headphones
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Paul Sheridan

New Head-Fier
  • Budget - £300-400 GBP (flexible to a point)
  • Source - Tidal / FLAC
  • Requirements for Isolation - some, listening At home
  • Will you be using these Headphones in Public? NO
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - full-sized
  • Preferred tonal balance - strong punchy bass performance (but not "boomy")
  • Past headphones -
    • ATH-W1000 - incredible detail, but seriously lacking in the bass department and a little in the midrange, just need a little more oomph!
    • Sony WH-1000xm3 - loads of bass, but boomy. Detail is lost and can sound muddy at times.
  • Preferred Music - Neil Young (Zuma) / Tool (Lateralus) / Pearl Jam (any!) / The Beta Band (The Three EPs) /Radiohead (Kid A/Paranoid Android)
  • What would you like to improve on from your set-up - Ideal headphone would be a combination of the two that i own! If the ATH-W1000's had a more punchy/deeper bass response they would be almost perfect (just would prefer a little more sound isolation!) - something that will rock hard!
  • Location - United Kingdom
I've been seriously looking at buying a new set of headphones. I'm only interested in buying closed backs with good sound isolation... Musical tastes are rock/blues/country/electro so would love something punchy, base heavy but not too boomy and not too fussed about super levels of detail.

list so far are:

Meze Classics 99

Argon Mk3 (if and when they become available... only issue is wait time to get them)

Monoprice m1060c

are there any others that i should be aware of?

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Aug 26, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 11
so i've finally decided and bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen's, hoping that they are going to be turning up tomorrow :)... a bit of a jump up in class from what i was originally looking at, but not as crazy expensive as the ath-wp900 (sorry, but just could not justify that kind of cash!). Very excited and will be gleefully going back through my entire music collection in the hope of justifying their price tag!

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 11
so i've finally decided and bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen's, hoping that they are going to be turning up tomorrow :)... a bit of a jump up in class from what i was originally looking at, but not as crazy expensive as the ath-wp900 (sorry, but just could not justify that kind of cash!). Very excited and will be gleefully going back through my entire music collection in the hope of justifying their price tag!

Excellent choice! I was just about to recommend the T5p Gen2. I have a pair and they really are very, very good. The stock earpads are not that great initially and I've gone through a couple of third-party ones, but went back to the stock ones in the end. They can be driven with a decent phone or a DAP.

I managed to get mine recently at a great price on eBay UK.

Downsides are that they're not really portable/travel (I know portability isn't one of your requirements) even though they're touted as portable - I'd consider them transportable or great for flights, train journeys, etc. I tried walking around in them but that didn't work too well so I bought Beyer Aventho Wired for walking around in.

The stock cable is very high quality - it's OCC 7N copper cable. The good thing is that cables from Aventho Wired and T1.2 all fit. Also, pads for T1.2 fit.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Where did you find it for less than the wp900? Used?

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 11
You can absolutely find a pair of THX00s in that price range, especially second-hand. They match the profile you're looking for perfectly and look stunning while doing it. Comfy too.

Otherwise, the Aurvana Lives are effectively the same headphone in an uglier housing - they perform excellently for the price.

HF580s would be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back