Warm Portable amp for Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm
Mar 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jazzwave

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,
I need your help..

Last week I bought Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm packaged with Ordnance 22 amp, good deal actually.
I love D770 250 sound signature more natural than 80 Ohm version for me,..mostly I listen the jazz music through speaker and 6SN7+300B tube amp.

Well, I set Dell notebook - HifimeDIY U2 ASync (Sabre chip) - Ordnance 22 -DT770......the Ord has power to push DT770 singing but i don't like the sound..so bright, analyctic.
I take out the amp from set up, just put the DAC between notebook and DT770..the sound much better, more revealing but loose the bass.

Please suggest me suitable a warm sound portable amp for DT770 250Ohm, for $200 budget.

~ron~

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 10
If you only bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 250s last week, you should probably let them break-in some before chasing after amps to change the sound. I would advise giving them a 150 hours of use first.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 10
If you only bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 250s last week, you should probably let them break-in some before chasing after amps to change the sound. I would advise giving them a 150 hours of use first.

I did, ...I keep music running in my notebook with dac,amp, DT770 12hrs/day , so until today (9x12hrs) burn in.
Sound little bit better but not much

Thinking to have tube amp like Icon Audio HP8 MKII, but thats big expense for me

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Tube amps make a lot more sense if looking for warmth because you can exchange tubes to try to get the sound signature you want. Although not a $1000 tube amp to pair with $150 headphones (lol).

Look into tube amps by Little Dot. They have some in your budget range.

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Tube amps make a lot more sense if looking for warmth because you can exchange tubes to try to get the sound signature you want. Although not a $1000 tube amp to pair with $150 headphones (lol).

I believe the OP is looking for portable amps though.  I don't think there's such as thing as a portable tube amp unfortunately, at least not to my knowledge.  

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 10

Yes..Icon Audio HP8 MKII is overkill for DT770..:)
I'm looking the portable one, that can be used for Notebook and iPod.

Le's wait coments from others DT770 250s user,.....

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 10
Welcome to the search for the right sound. I'm also trying to do that but I'm still not sure if I need to try a different amp or the DAC... Anyway, with my current DAP's, I've found that the FIIO E12DIY actually has a warm-ish tone while still providing a nice clear sound. I've just started on swapping out the different ops and buffers but the OPA604 with the buffer LMH6321 sounds really nice to my ears. But I'm still letting it burn in as I just swapped the parts earlier today. If it's anything like the stock config, the sound should continue to improve after a day or so.  BTW, I have no experience in modifying amps, but the FIIO folks made it really easy to do just that with the DIY. If you can still get one, I'd highly recommend it.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 10
Yes..Icon Audio HP8 MKII is overkill for DT770..:)
I'm looking the portable one, that can be used for Notebook and iPod.

There have been a couple of portable tube amps mentioned on Head-Fi, but I don't know much about them:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/elekit-tu-hp01/reviews/9612
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624217/breaking-news-alo-audios-new-portable-tube-amplifier-dac

With these, I would bet they are hybrid tube/solid state amps, which means just a tube amp for the pre-amp stage. A full tube amp which gives you the full tube amp sound would be too big and bulky--and my guess that it would require too much power--to be portable.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 10
I read in Amazon review one guy happy with NuForce Icon uDAC-3 pair with DT770/250. I'm not sure if there small amp inside but there is volume control.

Quote from nuforce website:

Features:
■Discrete asynchronous USB audio receiver and D/A converter stages
■Coaxial S/PDIF output
■Double jitter-reduction mechanism at data level and at over-sampling filter stage
■High voltage 2V analog output
■A linear TOCOS volume control for improved channel tracking at low listening levels
■No capacitors in any of the audio signal paths
■USB-powered, no external power supply required
■Headphones impedances between 16 and 300-Ohms are suitable for use with Icon uDAC-3

Any input?

May 16, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 10
To much read review made me disoriented....
biggrin.gif

Initially I'm looking portable amp for my DT770/250 cans....................and finally, I decided to order iBasso DX50 (yes, the DAP not amp).

I want simple gear for travelling, just DAP and cans (no external DAC and Amp). Bought DX50 is little bit gambling, doess DX50 can push 250 ohm cans sing good (Output Level: 1.2V(Low gain), 1.7V(Mid gain), 3.1V(High Gain).

How good WM8740 24Bit DAC Chip?   My fav DAC is  Sabre..the polite DAC.

I'm waiting your comment to my this decision...
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back