Warm open back cans For Heavy Rock in $1-3k range
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 27
I have something like an irrational hatred of these -- Quad makes Electrostats. That's what they've been known for since 1949. If they're not electrostats they're not Quads.
Well you are right because they aren't Quad at all. They are a rebranded Brainwavz Alara made for Quad by a chinese OEM. So it doesn't matter if they are electrostats or not.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #17 of 27
Well you are right because they aren't Quad at all. They are a rebranded Brainwavz Alara made for Quad by a chinese OEM. So it doesn't matter if they are electrostats or not.
So mid range planars for mid-high end prices. Again, no thanks.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Yep. Irrational... Lol
Yes and no -- see the above. Much like when ML sold mediocre headphones for 3-5x what they were worth on the value of the brand alone... Shame. We shouldn't be encouraging this.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 27
Yes and no -- see the above. Much like when ML sold mediocre headphones for 3-5x what they were worth on the value of the brand alone... Shame. We shouldn't be encouraging this.
All I know is that they are awesome headphones. Not too concerned or obsessed with anything else.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 27
All I know is that they are awesome headphones. Not too concerned or obsessed with anything else.
I'm glad you're happy with their current offerings, but until Quad builds a pair of electrostatic headphones in house I won't spend with them or encourage others to.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 27
I'm glad you're happy with their current offerings, but until Quad builds a pair of electrostatic headphones in house I won't spend with them or encourage others to.
So you're going to discourage others from buying these headphones because of your personal, subjective issues with the company?

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 27
So you're going to discourage others from buying these headphones because of your personal, subjective issues with the company?
In so far as buying the original item, not the rebranded overpriced version? Yes. Until they (Quad) bring their own tech to market they should not profit. If you can get literally the same thing with a different brand on it, why pay more?

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #26 of 27
From my experience, I can recommend the Ether 2, especially with the Suede pads. I use them as the open back counter to my ZMF Verite Closed. The Ether 2 are also super light which makes them even more comfortable.

The ZMF VC are warmer but I wouldn't know how they compare to the open back Verite. The Verite might be the warmer open back you're looking for but I haven't tried them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back