Warm headphones below $150
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jcw122

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for new full size headphones. Currently, I have Sennheiser 212Pro's, and I enjoy the amount of bass they have as they are DJ headphones, but they are badly lacking in highs. The highs are somewhat drowned out. I also own Yuin PK1s, and I really enjoy their top knotch highs, but they are earbuds and obviously don't do much bass compared to full cans.

-Warm, rather bassy headphones like the 212Pros
-Doesn't drown out the mids/highs
-Closed
-Under $150
-Comfort for 3-4+ hours of continuous usage
-Hip-hop and trance/electronica music, but will still do well with other genres

I first thought of Sennheiser for phones, but I have no idea how what kind of sound profiles their higher end phones have. I'm open to any brand really.

Thanks guys.

-Jon

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Warm, rather bassy headphones like the 212Pros
-Doesn't drown out the mids/highs
-Options for both closed and open would be great
-Under $150
-Comfort for 3-4+ hours of continuous usage
-Hip-hop and trance/electronica music, but will still do well with other genres

One closed headphone that meets all your criteria are SRH840. They are warm & bassy, but have very clear highs and mids, which together provide amazing detail. I got them for $115 new, are comfortable (tho they do clamp) and are honestly my favorite headphones for electronica (I have 6, all others cost more than the Shures). Their only downfall to my ears is their more limited soundstage (and slight bass emphasis, but you seem to want that), but soundstage might not be as important with electronic music.

Don't know as much about open headphones but maybe others can help you with that.

good luck
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 17
I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD448s. They focus mostly on bringing out mids and highs clean and crisp with much detail, while adding just the right amount of bass. Sennheiser headphones are usually loaded with bass, but the 448s are very lifelike and well balanced. They are quite warm and comfortable. However, they do not have much clamping force so you won't get much isolation, unless you crank the volume up and have an amp. I use the HD448s with a iBasso T3 and Sony X1051 and they sound quite good. In short, they are very neutral sounding with great clarity and powerful mids and highs. They are also great for the price, as I got mine from Amazon for $85. Check out headphone.com's review on these headphones as it's much more detailed than mine.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 17
I think the Shure SRH440s are warmer than the 840s, if I remember right. Both are good headphones. Audio-Technica ATH-M50s also have good bass but are quite analytical.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 17
eucaroite, where did you find the SRH840s for so cheap? The lowest prices I'm seeing are $150 but mostly $200. I'll have to check out the 440s as well.

The Senn 448's look very interesting, $99 and I LOVE the fact that they have an extension cable rather than a single 10ft cable, that's huge for me as I enjoy both of those options (mobile use and home computing).

EDIT: The Senns aren't apparently very bassy based on reviews I've read.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm seeing Shure came out with the SRH750DJ, anyone recommend that?

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 17
does it have to be closed?

If not, invest in a Sennheiser Hd 485. My personal favorite set of full size over the ears. VERY warm. Can be had for less than 90$ new. The Shures are not warm sounding. Not at all. Bad choice if you want warmness.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 17
Well the actual definition of warmness begs to differ with YOU :p

if the 440s are warm, Id place them at about 70 degrees F
the 485s are around 110F

:p

485 > 440 and them some

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 17
The SRH440 are not warm. The Denon D1000/1001 are better than SRH440. The Creative Aurvana Live! are the same as Denon D1000/1001 because they use the same driver but are cheaper. If you are looking into used headphones look for the DT150. You will not be disappointed with them.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it have to be closed?

If not, invest in a Sennheiser Hd 485. My personal favorite set of full size over the ears. VERY warm. Can be had for less than 90$ new. The Shures are not warm sounding. Not at all. Bad choice if you want warmness.

Thanks for the information. I noticed in your signature that you do indeed own both brands/pairs of phones, which is very helpful.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 17
The Equation Audio RP-21 sound warm to me.
They're closed full sizes, and can be found for around $89-100
Isolation is pretty good, and there's a fun quantity of bass, although the highs sound rolled off.
Could potentially be remedied by using different pads.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 17
Been researching all the suggestions and then some...I think I definitely want closed phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back