Warm And Thick Cans!
Apr 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kent0

Head-Fier
A Good day folks! I'm in need of cans that posses these qualities; warm, thick and natural. I currently own the Superlux HD 668b which I like but I find a little too thin and cold. I'm leaning towards the sennheisers. I dont like, well, hate too much bass and too much treble either. Budget is $150. And I cant find used cans.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 19
Senns (HD580, HD600 and HD650)
Most grados (plastic and wood)
and Beyer DT990.

Also, I've found Ultrasone HFI-580 to be very warm, and natural. The bass is there, and very high quality, but it isn't overpowering, and you can probably find it in your price range if you shop around.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 19
HD518 -> Very thick / bassy side.
HD558 -> Warm, more on the neutral side.

I had the HD558 for over a year and had a good listen to the HD518 at my friend's house a few times.

Both can be found under 150$ new.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 19
Your responses are appreciated.
@Rem0o Can you compare the HD 555 and HD 518 in terms of sound and comfort? And is the HD 518 as comfortable as the 558?

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 19
Your responses are appreciated.
@Rem0o Can you compare the HD 555 and HD 518 in terms of sound and comfort? And is the HD 518 as comfortable as the 558?

The HD558 is much more comfortable even if both the HD558 and HD518 have an identical shape, because the pads on the HD558 are  softer (velour).

In term of sound, the HD558 offer a wider image, kinda laid-back, have a slight mid-bass emphasis, treble is easy on the ear, typical Sennheiser presentation. Bass is a little soft though, lack impact, especially deep bass.

When you put the HD518 on your head after the HD558, the first thing you notice is the bass. Much bigger impact, kicks harder, still relaxed though, a little more closed-in, the mid-bass kinda drowns the mids a little, the treble is similar. Much more satisfying with music that features a lot of bass energy.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 19
The Bose QC15 is pretty warm and thick in some ways. I owned it for years. You could get it used on eBay for under $100. But it requires a AAA battery to work, and the stock cable produces some sibilance, so it may not be the best choice.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 19
The Bose QC15 is pretty warm and thick in some ways. I owned it for years. You could get it used on eBay for under $100. But it requires a AAA battery to work, and the stock cable produces some sibilance, so it may not be the best choice.
Doesn't Bose have a bad reputation? I have tried some upper tier Bose and It didn't do well for me.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 19
The HD558 is much more comfortable even if both the HD558 and HD518 have an identical shape, because the pads on the HD558 are  softer (velour).

In term of sound, the HD558 offer a wider image, kinda laid-back, have a slight mid-bass emphasis, treble is easy on the ear, typical Sennheiser presentation. Bass is a little soft though, lack impact, especially deep bass.

When you put the HD518 on your head after the HD558, the first thing you notice is the bass. Much bigger impact, kicks harder, still relaxed though, a little more closed-in, the mid-bass kinda drowns the mids a little, the treble is similar. Much more satisfying with music that features a lot of bass energy.
Thanks again for the reply. I'm really interested in the Sennheiser HD 5x8 line. But, Have you tried the HD 555?

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 19
Doesn't Bose have a bad reputation? I have tried some upper tier Bose and It didn't do well for me.

Who cares what others think? I like the QC15 a lot more than plenty of headphones that were "supposed" to be better. Only you can decide what you like. I'm going to assume "upper tier Bose" are speakers or something? In any case, a headphone should be judged only after hearing it.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Who cares what others think? I like the QC15 a lot more than plenty of headphones that were "supposed" to be better. Only you can decide what you like. I'm going to assume "upper tier Bose" are speakers or something? In any case, a headphone should be judged only after hearing it.
I apologise I didn't mean to be offensive. The Bose that I tried are around $350 So I assume that they are the better cans from Bose. I have only tried their iems which IMHO aren't worth the price. Although I agree with you that the decision is really from our OWN experience.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 19
I apologise I didn't mean to be offensive. The Bose that I tried are around $350 So I assume that they are the better cans from Bose. I have only tried their iems which IMHO aren't worth the price. Although I agree with you that the decision is really from our OWN experience.

No offense taken. I was just making a point that reputation is not something to be relied upon. Only hearing a headphone for yourself matters.

So the only Bose headphones you've heard are $350 IEMs? Might wanna hear the QC15 before writing it off as a viable option for what you're looking for.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 19
Sadly no, only heard the current production HD5x8, none of the now discontinued HD5x5 line.
Since you have heard the 5x8 series. Can the 518 go against the 598 in terms of sound? Since the 598 is 2x the price. Do I get 200% increase in performance? And lastly, Are the pads replaceable on these headphones?

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 19
Since you have heard the 5x8 series. Can the 518 go against the 598 in terms of sound? Since the 598 is 2x the price. Do I get 200% increase in performance? And lastly, Are the pads replaceable on these headphones?

Yes, the pads are replaceable.

No, 2X the price won't get you 200% the performance,  it will get you a more comfortable headphone and a different sound, but still in the same league.  The best bang for your buck is definitely the HD518, though if you don't like its distinctive signature, it isn't a good buy. Right now on Amazon at 99$, the HD558 is (imo) the best buy in the lineup.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 19
No offense taken. I was just making a point that reputation is not something to be relied upon. Only hearing a headphone for yourself matters.

So the only Bose headphones you've heard are $350 IEMs? Might wanna hear the QC15 before writing it off as a viable option for what you're looking for.
Sure. If I can audition some I might like them. Right now, I'll add them to my list. Thanks for your suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back