Warm amp for grado?
Apr 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for something fairly cheap (eg not pico, predator, or even hornet range) that runs kind of on the warm side.

Would be even better if it were a combo with a dac but it's fine without too.

I'm wondering if the mini3 is the way to go, or if I should have something simple like a CMOY/A47 built with nice parts

Would love to have one maybe built together with a gamma or the like.

Basically wondering if there is anything product wise already out there.

I have a mobile nuforce and while I like it I find it a touch cold with grado

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something fairly cheap (eg not pico, predator, or even hornet range) that runs kind of on the warm side.

Would be even better if it were a combo with a dac but it's fine without too.

I'm wondering if the mini3 is the way to go, or if I should have something simple like a CMOY/A47 built with nice parts

Would love to have one maybe built together with a gamma or the like.

Basically wondering if there is anything product wise already out there.

I have a mobile nuforce and while I like it I find it a touch cold with grado

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think your best option is the PA2V2 or Biosciencegeek CMOY. Both of these are made-to-order and you can request that they be tuned to sound warm with Grados.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 6
x2 on the PA2V2. Some very experienced ears on this forum have commented on its good synergy with Grados. You might want to get an inline resistor to address the low volume channel imbalance that most folks seem to experience, otherwise it seems to be a great amp for the price and Gary is quite eager to please with post-sale technical service.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the PA2V2. Some very experienced ears on this forum have commented on its good synergy with Grados. You might want to get an inline resistor to address the low volume channel imbalance that most folks seem to experience, otherwise it seems to be a great amp for the price and Gary is quite eager to please with post-sale technical service.

The PA2V2 sounds great with my Grado SR325is headphones...not as good as the Grado RA1 amp, but still pretty darn good.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 6
I use an Ibasso D2 Boa, which sounds fairly warm to my ears. I've not heard the nuforce but other reviewers said the Boa was warmer. At 165, the Boa is a lot cheaper than the Predator, and includes a DAC. If you wanted to step up, you could look at the D3 or D10 models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back