Warm amp for ~$120 for DT880?
Aug 15, 2005 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Need your help people, recently acquired myself a pair of DT880 and now I am ready to give amplification a go. I will be possibly be going to a meet this weekend but would like some info here as well.

Since this will be my first amp I have quite a few questions:

1) A lot of the reading I have done suggest warm amps pair well with the DT880, so any amps under $120 that meet this requirement?
2) I'm indifferent to whether it is portable or not, but my logic is that some function would have been sacrificed for portability, is this true?
3) Tube or SS? The first amps I was considering strongly were either the Little Dot II or a PIMETA as they are within my price range. Has anybody experienced these with the DT880.
4) I listen to a lot of female vocals so will a warm amp suit my taste in music, I would also like more soundstage if that is even possible on the DT880.

I am open to suggestions and questions, so fire them at me.

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 6
I would definately go for a tube amp if you are looking for a nice warm sound with the DT880s. The little dot 2 seems like an excellent choice.

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your recommendation Psycho. Which ever way I go I seem to be always coming back to the LD2, but it's got me wondering why two amp builders suggested suggested the PIMETA over the LD2?

Aug 15, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au
Thanks for your recommendation Psycho. Which ever way I go I seem to be always coming back to the LD2, but it's got me wondering why two amp builders suggested suggested the PIMETA over the LD2?

Well it all depends on the configuration of the pimeta. The pimeta can be kind of a bright amp when paired with the wrong opamp and stacked buffers. Personally I think you would be better off with the LD2 because of your desire for a nice warm sound. IMO tubes are the best way to achieve this.

Aug 15, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 6
I've elaborated on my PM to you renesis.

The advantage of a PIMETA would be that it's friendly as a beginner amp so to speak. But it would have to be configured to suit the DT880, which means you'd better try it whatever available opamps are out there...

Maybe even the Z-audio Lambda could also be a better choice than a PIMETA?

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 6
A problem has arisen and I won't be able to make the meet.

So unfortunately I will have to make my decision based on your opinions and what I have read on this forum.

Any more suggestions and comments would be welcomed. At this early stage the LD2 is in the front.

Is it possible for a portable amp such as the portaphile, super macro, etc to be able to produce a warm sound similar to that of a tube with the right opamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back