War of the vintage AKGs - Sextett vs. 500
Jan 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
My Fitz-recabled sextett just arrived.

You'll have to forgive me for gushing but I'm blown away by the sextett - the hype is true.

Previously, the Fitz-recabled 500 with 701 pads destroyed everything I had ever heard. Personally, I think it slaughtered my stock 501 and Fitz recabled 501.

First, a word on the 500. Personally I preferred the 501 to the 601 and 701 so I hold it in pretty high regard. That said, I preferred the 500 to the 501. (Note, Although I'm not the only one who prefers the 501 to the 6/701 and the 500 to the 501, the 500 was one of the best kept secrets around here
smily_headphones1.gif
). The 500 simply has better midrange - yes seriously - better than the 501. The bass is lighter than the bass-heavy version of the 501 but heavier than the bass-light version of the 501. While both benefit from the 701 pads (if for comfort if nothing else), the 500's bass is slightly more controlled and nimble than the 501. The highs are slightly rolled off compared to th new 501 but much smoother to my ears. Back to the mids. They are more resolving than the 501 - simply more natural. The head-stage on the 500 even out-shines the 501, it is simply broader and deeper with instruments more firmly placed - space between notes, etc. Frankly, I prefer this little set up (with recabling and 701 pads) to a recabled Beyer 880, any Senn and to the RS-1.

Now on to the sextett. I believe this is from the middle of the production runs. It is recabled with the same Fitz Black clover cable and velour 271 pads have been ordered and are on the way.

In short, the sextett is probably the only can I'll be listening to from now on (I've made it a firm rule only to have one full size can and one portable can). The 500-vs-sextett is more a matter of preference. For jazz and classical the 500 probably wins. It has better headstage and soundstage than the sextett. That's not to say the sextett is lacking, but just that the 500 is in a different league than everything else I've ever hear (note: I've never heard the AKG 1000). The 500's mids are smoother than the sextett as well.

So why will I (probably) be sticking with the sextett? It has more impact-full bass and a more forward midrange and sharper instrument placement. The 500 has a wider headstage but the sextett places sounds within its more limited stage with razer-sharpness. The sextett does require more power. I could run the 500 off a portable amp nicely while the sextett really needs a home amp (PPA or better) to shine. My set up is pretty warm so that might help in keeping the sextett from getting anything near grating - whereas the 500 ran ultra luscious on the warm set-up but nicely balanced on a thinner more-digital sounding set up.

The sextett is basically a touch of Grado mixed into the smoother (non-701) AKGs. It conveys emotion but in a different way than the 500. The sextett focuses on the individual sounds within the music (a voice, and instrument, an effect) while the 500 focuses on the broader music keeping individuals sounds well-grounded within their context. The sextett is like a jazz singer while the 500 is like an orchestra, or the sextett sounds like a recording studio while the 500 sounds like a concert hall.

That said, nothing I've ever heard has been able to convey the musical power of a voice, or a note as the sextett.

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 99
I will be receiving my Sextett that Fitz worked on shortly. I am hoping it will come today but I doubt it, probably tomorrow.

It is a mid production, it has the KT88 mod done to the grilles, new earpads, new matched drivers and it has been recabled. It already had new elastics and foam rings.

I can't wait to get it! What you describe about the Sextett is exactly what I love about it! It has the energetic liveliness of a Grado. Electric guitars simply sound stunning, some of the best I've heard, and they have crunch! But, as you also said, there is no treble harshness at all that is a problem with the current John-made Grados.

The soundstage is not huge, but it images very well. It is bigger than the soundstage of an RS-1, for example. And then there is that signature AKG midrange -- slightly different with each AKG. You can get lost in the vocals... Aw hell I am terrible at reviewing and describing sound... Anyway I can't believe this is the first reply. I do believe your post is the closest to a formal review of a sextett that head-fi has seen.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 99
Thanks 003 - appreciate it.

I didn't find a whole lot of info on how the sextetts sounded - just a touch.

(Same thing about the 500).

The amazing thing is how these cans are just an unbelievable deal - even recabled and niced up they are still far less expensive than other cans I personally think they best (RS-1 etc.).

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 99
Nice write-up.
The sextett certainly are very nice headphones, with a natural sound signature. Both non-fatiguing and forward at the same time...
I immediately pulled out mine and plugged them in for some extended head-time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 99
Thanks Kees

It's funny to find out how many people actually own the Sextett or have heard them.

I know there have been some threads on these, mostly identifying production run, etc. but given head-fi-ers love of good sound and a bargain that out performs items costing more and one a little unknown to the masses at that, I would have expected people to be shouting from the rafters about these.

Eeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah - the Sextetts rock!!!!!!!!!! (that's my shout
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 99
If you think they're a bargain now, you should have seen it when you could have had a pair for around $50 and not the $100+ they go for these days.

I agree that these headphones are something special. I've even preferred them to both a Zu cabled HD650 and RS-2.
eek.gif
I definitely don't see myself getting rid of them anytime soon.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 99
I am actually quite surprised hardly anyone has replied to the thread. Usually these threads about the sextetts and vintage AKGs in general get reasonably long.

EDIT:
Yeah and before they were well known, you could get them for dirt cheap. Maybe it would have been better to leave them alone as a well kept secret? Oh well, to late now...

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am actually quite surprised hardly anyone has replied to the thread. Usually these threads about the sextetts and vintage AKGs in general get reasonably long.

Maybe team AKG is still hung over from last night.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 99
Great info on the k500. The k501 provided one of the most enjoyable listening experiences I have ever had. They are truly one of a kind. They are probably the best value phone out there.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

Hardly anyone here has a K500. Hard to compare what you've never heard.

I have a pair of K500 drivers in an extensively modified K301 frame, but they probably don't sound exactly like a K500.

Quote:

EDIT:
Yeah and before they were well known, you could get them for dirt cheap. Maybe it would have been better to leave them alone as a well kept secret? Oh well, to late now...

And the price will go back down in time. And you can still get them for under $30 every now and then.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 99
Probably true about not a lot of folks having heard the 500. I've seen them on ebay occasionally and Fitz was selling one a couple of weeks ago and one with 401 drivers in it a last week.

On the Sextetts though, it still baffles me as to their lack of appearance here - maybe folks wanting to keep them a secret
wink.gif

Not to get engaged in too much of a price discussion - but were I interested in picking up a second pair - on one hand a couple of hundred seems expensive if you can get them cheaper if you wait and know what you are doing - on the other hand just based on what you get with them sound-wise for the money, I probably would drop that on them as I've (unfortunately) spent more than that on cans I've been far less impressed with.

I don't know what they sound like with stock cables but assume that Fitz' black clover cables help as they certainly helped both the 500 and 501.

It's been a while since I heard an RS-1 but it would be very, very interesting to put a recabled Sextett side by side with one.

I never really considered my self part of team AKG - when I first got here I AKG seemed king of eary/esoteric so I went through the typical Grados and Senns - that seemed pretty safe - then went back through vintage Grados and then, more adventurously onto Beyers. Having said that, I'd encourage any newer folks to seriously consider AKGs.

Back to the Sextetts - one thing that's becoming pretty clear with them is the way they convey effects. Whereas the 500 has an extraordinarily wide stage going side to side, the sextetts place their instrument very clearly both side to side and front and back. It's hard to describe but something I haven't heard so clearly with any other can. They convey specific effects that move from front to back in a very similar fashion to a good pair of speakers. I also have a sinking feeling that they would continue to benefit from increased power amp-wise. They work okay with a portable amp and do very nicely with a PPA/steps but I imagine if you ran them with a beast of an amp they would continue to scale.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there have been some threads on these, mostly identifying production run, etc. but given head-fi-ers love of good sound and a bargain that out performs items costing more and one a little unknown to the masses at that, I would have expected people to be shouting from the rafters about these.

I've been telling people about them for nearly a year now... but because it's been long out of production and doesn't carry a price tag of several hundred dollars, it's brushed off too easily by many.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think they're a bargain now, you should have seen it when you could have had a pair for around $50 and not the $100+ they go for these days.

I got my first pair for $30 with absolutely no idea what the real story was on them. I was curious at what they were actually like, since I'd never heard any version of the K240 yet (I'd only heard the K501, K701, and K1000 at that point in time), so I decided to take a chance on it. I eventually sold that pair to a friend for the same $30.

Quote:

The average price on ebay.com and ebay.de isn't that high, but lately a few certain trigger-happy people have been forcing the price up by all aiming for the same auction. Once they all get a pair, or just settle down a little bit, prices will stabilize back to normal.

Quote:

Holy ****. Anybody see this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/f-...0-sold-279871/

A pair of nothing special sextetts which apparently was sold for $180. THAT is robbery.

Jeez, sometimes I wish I could put my conscience aside for a day or so, and make a killing selling some sextetts. If an ordinary pair is selling for around the same amount as a fully refurbished and recabled pair, I can only imagine how much I could make.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of K500 drivers in an extensively modified K301 frame, but they probably don't sound exactly like a K500.

You know, that still makes me shudder. I don't want to hear what that actually sounds like.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 99
Quote:

It's been a while since I heard an RS-1 but it would be very, very interesting to put a recabled Sextett side by side with one.

Been a while since I heard the RS-1 too, but I thought the RS-2 sounded nice when I listened to it at a mini-meet. I still preferred the K240 over it by a significant margin though.

Quote:

I never really considered my self part of team AKG - when I first got here I AKG seemed king of eary/esoteric so I went through the typical Grados and Senns - that seemed pretty safe - then went back through vintage Grados and then, more adventurously onto Beyers. Having said that, I'd encourage any newer folks to seriously consider AKGs.

I stuck to the well known headphones for a while, but never was truly satisfied with anything I heard or owned until I got the K240 Sextett. Despite how I may seem in general, I am very rarely certain about the choices I make (just ask poor swt61 how much I lean on him whenever I'm working on a project or new product), but one of the few things I am certain about is that the sextett is the headphone I was looking for. Completely a blind impulse buy, but it showed me just how damn good things can sound when you stray off the beaten path, and prompted me to check out the rest of AKGs "back catalog," finding even more goodies along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back