Wanting to Upgrade my Headroom Maxed Out Home Reference to...?
Aug 26, 2004 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi-

I am currently using a Maxed Out Home Reference with a Loop Out. I am thinking of upgrading my Headphone amp in the forseeable future. I use the Sennheiser HD650's with the Cardas Cable. My current system is:

Ayre AX-7 Integrated
Ayre CX-7 CDP
Ayre P-5x Phono Stage
Magnum Dynalab Tuner
Thiel CS1.6's
Rega P9 TT
DV-17D2mk2 Cart
Cardas Cable and Power Cords
PS Audio Power Director 4.7

Any Headphone amp I consider would need to have an Output Loop Pass through so I can also connect a tape deck, since I only have one tape loop in the Ayre Integrated.

Questions:

1) What amps would offer a fairly Significant Upgrade to the Maxed Out Home Reference?

2) How much would I have to spend to get a significant upgrade? I would not want to spend more than about $2000-$2500, but I am not compelled to spand that much, if better amps than my MOHR are available for less.

I would Prefer Solid State over Tubes, but that is not an absolute. The amp needs to be of significant "heft". Light-wight components (such as creek, Grado) have difficulty with my Cardas cables. I am sighting Creek and Crado only as examples of light weight components.

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Have you considered getting the reference module for your MOH (assuming you have a pre-module moh)? I've never heard any headroom amp, but the people who have heard them pre-module and post-module say it's a pretty big leap forward.. impressions here

Aug 26, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 10
MOHR is basically Max without the custom power supply (there is virtually no audible difference). I would say most significant upgrade will be something like Single Power Supra and Maestro ZR. Or you can wait for Dr. Jan Meier to put out his new amp w/ stepped attenuator!

Aug 26, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Have you considered the NEW 2004 Headroom reference modules? I have a 2001 MAX and that's the route I'm going to go.

Aug 26, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the same CD player, headphones, and headphone cable, as you do, as well as, a PS Audio power conditioner. About three months ago I tried an Aural Audio Audition which has replaced a Headroom Max in my system. The Aural meets all of your conditions except is has no tape output. It is solid state, weighs around 17 pounds, costs 1995.00 and is a big improvement over the Max. Of course my Max does not have the new module.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 10
I really like the loop out feature and I had it installed on my last singlepower mpx3. The cost is $50. I like the sound quality of the mpx3 much more than the MOH amp I owned. The singlepower amps arent fussy if you do decide to look into tubes.

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I upgraded from the Maxed out Home with reference pack and stepped Atten. to the Singlepower SDS. Not even close. I would take a look at the new Supras or even one of the MPX3's with all the upgrades. Mine is built like a tank and I have put over 2000 hours on it in just over a year. No problems at all. Singlepower will add loop out or whatever you want to the amp and tune it to the HD650 also if you like. The best decision I've made in headphone listening was switching to the Singlepower amp.
600smile.gif
icon10.gif
Good luck and have fun!

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Nice rig dude. What MD tuner you got?

I heard the new Headroom module at the Detroit meet and liked it enough to send my own Max in to have it installed. All the goodness you've heard about it is true and I won't add anything to that. Check out the Meier Audio Prehead(there's a new model coming out as announced in the amp forums) and the Ray Samuels Audio HR-2. Looking at your choice of gear,it seems that tubes would be a big departure from your sonic tastes. Even your cartridge indicates where your real tastes lie.

BTW,have heard the latest Lyra cartridges? That Argo completely threw me and Todd Green for a loop. It's as nearly good as the $4500 Titan and is the most balanced cartridge I have ever heard. I'm in love and have'nt swapped cartridges(I have four arm wands with mounted cartridges for my Scout turntables)since I got it.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Tuberoller-

I have the MD 100 Tuner and Love it. In considering my upgrade options, I should mention that I am an infrequent headphone listener. Maybe 100 hours a year, if I am lucky. Does this effect my options and choices?

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back