Wanting to get into canal phones
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 29
You've described the sound of the Senn CX300's perfectly. Smooth and balanced with deep detailed bass. I am really loving mine. If you decide to try them, though, make sure to give them a good burn-in period.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
Such crystal clear and well balanced sound is enough to win my vote. And they have pretty tight bass too. I listen too punk rock(NOFX, Rancid, Bad Religion, Offspring, Bombshell Rocks, Madball, H2O, etc.) and rock(Pink Floyd, Authority Zero, Korn, Static-X, etc.) and metal(Metallica, SOAD, etc.) with these and the bass is pretty sufficient. I'm a little biased though cuase they were my first decent 'phones(cans IEM's or otherwise). BTW, the Ety's are the smallest IEM's available i think.

I have a sort of "sub question" about the ER6i. How big is the piece you hold onto while inserting?? I have bought and returned the UM2 and the Sennheiser CX300 because I just couldn't hold on to the tiny little piece of hardware while trying to insert it. Either I need rubber gloves or I need Super.fi's!

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
I have a sort of "sub question" about the ER6i. How big is the piece you hold onto while inserting?? I have bought and returned the UM2 and the Sennheiser CX300 because I just couldn't hold on to the tiny little piece of hardware while trying to insert it. Either I need rubber gloves or I need Super.fi's!

The er-6i is awfully tiny in this regard. Hard to get a grip on unless you have long fingernails.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 29
The Etymotics are tiny -- with the flanged tips, it takes me a while to get them out of my ears, because I'm being extra careful not to pull on the cord. There's not a whole lot of "real estate" to them -- mostly wires and tips. However, with the foam tips, they don't insert so far, and are very easy to put in and take out (plus I prefer how they sound this way), if that makes a difference for you.

The new Senns seem intriguing ... but if you find them too small, I don't know about the Etys unless you restrict yourself to using the foamies (which is not such a bad thing).

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 29
Well, I've got fingernails, but that doesn't usually help me unless I'm holding on to something flexible. Hard nails + hard earphones = pops out and lands on the floor, ouch! I've been wondering if latex paint (not the house kind, the hobby kind) might coat them and make them more grippable, but that probably is a lot of excess labor and possible risk.

I'll probably end up back with the Super.fi. Depends if I can sell my DAP or not...otherwise my wallet and I are just sitting here, crying...

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by brschmid
so what i am thinking is one of these:
UM1
E2C
ER6i

Stay away from those sirens singing you to squeeze your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you enjoy a cold, bassless sound (= ER6i for what I've read), I would recommend the UM1. Comfort and isolation are 9/10 (custom molds would be 10/10 I guess), and sound quality & fun (= bass) is 7/10 (8/10 with a good equalizer). Microphonics are virtually null too.

So yes, there are much better (and expensive) IEMs out there, but if you want to stay in this price range, I'm sure the UM1 won't disappoint you.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 29
I vote don't actually purchase them from Best Buy, whatever you do, unless all you want to do is test run them. You can get a pair of E2cs for 59 online, whereas Best Buy charges freaking 99.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin72
Stay away from those sirens singing you to squeeze your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you enjoy a cold, bassless sound (= ER6i for what I've read), I would recommend the UM1. Comfort and isolation are 9/10 (custom molds would be 10/10 I guess), and sound quality & fun (= bass) is 7/10 (8/10 with a good equalizer). Microphonics are virtually null too.

So yes, there are much better (and expensive) IEMs out there, but if you want to stay in this price range, I'm sure the UM1 won't disappoint you.

that is what i was thinking i would try for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

I am not looking for a Bass monster

I want something balanced that will still have bass if i choose to listen to rap or dance type music, will the UM1 work for that?

btw: i see you are from one of my favorite areas in the country, hoping to move out there is about 1 year

The UM1 is a very nicely balanced IEM. It has its limitations, as do all single-driver implementations, but overall its a great performer at a reasonable price point. Enough detail to keep things interesting, but its never shrill. Plenty of bass for most music, and lots of dynamic impact.

With the Comply tips, they are VERY comfortable and provide a GREAT seal.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

what the heck are comply tips?

"Comply tips" is what Westone calls their included foam tips. The differences between that and regular foam tips is that the comply tips is rounded and smooth so comfort is excellent. However most say that some aspects of the sound quality is affected.

I definitely suggest that you go for the UM1's. Between your choices of E2c's, and ER-6i's, the UM1's balance the best of the both of them together. You get the nice & detailed highs of the ER6i's and a tighter & smoother version of the E2c's bass.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Yeah the er6i's are one of the smallest IEM's out there

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #28 of 29
I can't speak for the E2cs because I have never tried them. But in comparison between the 6i and UM1, I would go for UM1.

I tried them at a shop a few days ago (I was actually going for the UM2) and was quite nicely surprised by the UM1. It's not as sharp or detailed as the 6i but to me it came out as the more 'listenable' of the two for me. I felt like I could listen to the UM1 for hours, but not quite with the 6i. There was noticably bigger bass than the 6i, and sounded quite pleasant to my ears. UM1 was much more comfortable than the 6i for me, and didn't unseal or come loose/out when I moved/shook my head or smiled/laughed/grinned etc. But that's a personal problem since my earholes are quite shallow and slightly large, thus the Etys have a harder time staying in my ears.

Having said all that, I still think the 6i is a fine can and you wouldn't be disappointed (I was actually gearing up to get those - before thinking about getting the UM2 or E500).

I suggest you listen to all of them first and see which one you like and prefer
etysmile.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Well, I've got fingernails, but that doesn't usually help me unless I'm holding on to something flexible. Hard nails + hard earphones = pops out and lands on the floor, ouch! I've been wondering if latex paint (not the house kind, the hobby kind) might coat them and make them more grippable, but that probably is a lot of excess labor and possible risk.

I'll probably end up back with the Super.fi. Depends if I can sell my DAP or not...otherwise my wallet and I are just sitting here, crying...

Out of the E2cs/Er-6is/UM-1s the E2cs have the largest amount to hold onto for insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back