Wanting to get a soundcard to get 5.1 or 7.1 for my headphones..
Dec 7, 2015 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Critical50

Head-Fier
What Ive heard
Internal soundcards are often worse, because they pick up a lot of noise from the inside and transfers it to my headphones.
Open back are the best for surround sound. I have a pair of HD 558s to use.

But Im looking at all these soundcards, some dont say the channels they have. Just that they're a soundcard. Whats the purpose of a soundcard if it doesnt add any surround sound?

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 6
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
Comes with SBX Headphone surround sound.
Better to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing an internal sound card and it's software.

If your not really into FPS gaming and maybe have no really need for headphone surround sound, then the FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, which are both USB DAC/amp would do the job.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 6
I play a lot of first person games.
I was looking at Creative's cards, the model you recommend is a little bit pricey. I'll consider it but, what about the X-fi 5.1 surround pro?

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 6
I play a lot of first person games.
I was looking at Creative's cards, the model you recommend is a little bit pricey. I'll consider it but, what about the X-fi 5.1 surround pro?

Guess the X-Fi 5.1 Surround Pro is decent.
Never used it myself.

There is the Xonar DG & DGX sound cards.
But I guess your looking more into something external.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Guess the X-Fi 5.1 Surround Pro is decent.
Never used it myself.

There is the Xonar DG & DGX sound cards.
But I guess your looking more into something external.

I bought an ASUS card once for like $100. I installed the drivers, the audio didnt sound right, so I reinstalled. When I went to reinstall, I got an error. Its a really common problem with it seems all of their cards, and my PC has problems frequently. Which I solve by just wiping my HDD sometimes. Or if I need to reinstall for any other reason, that'll be quite a problem..

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 6
I bought an ASUS card once for like $100. I installed the drivers, the audio didn't sound right, so I reinstalled. When I went to reinstall, I got an error. Its a really common problem with it seems all of their cards, and my PC has problems frequently. Which I solve by just wiping my HDD sometimes. Or if I need to reinstall for any other reason, that'll be quite a problem..

I've had issues with installing Xonar cards, but usually get it installed after a few tries and working well.
You might have had a bad Xonar card or the motherboard might have had issues with Xonar cards.
Every sound card model or brand has had issues, some more then others.
If the motherboard's on-board audio is active, it might have been causing the install issues with your Xonar.
But if want to go external, cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back