Wanted to sell my UM2's until...
Feb 10, 2006 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dunk7

100+ Head-Fier
I tried them with the Shure Clear Hard Flex tip...NIGHT AND DAY difference.

I had tried the triple flanges, modified flanges and foamies (both shure are comply) and couldn't believe the difference. The highs are crytal clear (with much less sibilance as I was hearing from the triple flange). Honestly, I think the seal might be a little worse and that what produces better higs and less dominating bass. Anyone else experience this???

etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 19
Changing tips on the UM2 or whatever IEM doesn't alter the SQ imo..

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 19
going from the comply tips on my um1 to the modded tri-flange to bi-flange there is a noticeable change in sound signature.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 19
I will have to respectfully disagree with sidewinder.

Changing the tips on my superfi.5 pro makes a world of difference for the following reasons:

1. Better seal--blocks out more unwanted noise.
2. Better fit/angle for driver.

For a while I was disappointed with my sf5s even to the point of almost returning them and sticking with my Sony EX81s. But after much trial and error with the various tips (I've found that I'm a double flange wearer), as well as molding the memory wire to my liking and learning how to insert them to maximum effect, the difference is indeed night and day.

YMMV, but that's my experience.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Honestly, I can tell a difference with each different tip I've tried on my UM2's. I'm always shocked when people say they can't tell a difference. I guess if I was testing them with a walkman or FM tuner maybe I wouldn't be able to tell
eggosmile.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunk7
I guess if I was testing them with a walkman or FM tuner maybe I wouldn't be able to tell
eggosmile.gif

Thats right, you need to consider the source/amplification if any.

Different size tips will create varying degrees of fitment, which creates varying degrees of distance between nozzle/ear drum. Meanwhile different types of tips will change the orientation/angle of the nozzle to ones ear canal/drum. Since there are many tips to choose from, you should be able to hear dramatic differences in SQ depending on overall fit and nozzle orientation. If using a high quality source, and you can't discern a difference, its time to see an audiologist.

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder

No offence, but you just don't make any sense!!
rolleyes.gif

Changing tips has a direct affect on sound quality!!
icon10.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

yea ur really stupid, no offense. tips make a huge difference with the sound because of isolation, and other factors like how the iem is positioned in your ear canal and some reverberate in the ear for a better bass response. come on headfi, you guys are supposed to be the best

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by danman81
yea ur really stupid, no offense. tips make a huge difference with the sound because of isolation, and other factors like how the iem is positioned in your ear canal and some reverberate in the ear for a better bass response. come on headfi, you guys are supposed to be the best

Come on people everybody is entiled to there own epionion.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by danman81
yea ur really stupid, no offense.

No offense? I'm pretty that's the sole reason for calling someone "stupid", isn't it?

I wish you could get away with that line of thinking in everyday life....

Boss - I need your status report by week's end.
You - Shove it up your arse, you jackass. No offense.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldspice
Boss - I need your status report by week's end.
You - Shove it up your arse, you jackass. No offense.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL.
icon10.gif

And of course the tips make a difference, but I don't want to pile on any further.
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I fully agree with this statement; as long as there is no difference in seal between two tips and you get a perfect seal with each, I noticed no difference, and I am one who believes in cable upgrades and such altering the sound as well.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 19
I find there to be significant differences between some tips especially the clear flex and the tri-flanges. The tri-flanges have the best isolation and the best bass but they roll-off the highs while the clear flex brings back those highs at the sacrifice of some bass and isolation.

I'm suprised you found the flex sleeves to be less sibilant than the tri-flanges because I percieve it to be the exact opposite.

Feb 10, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
I fully agree with this statement; as long as there is no difference in seal between two tips and you get a perfect seal with each, I noticed no difference, and I am one who believes in cable upgrades and such altering the sound as well.

Certainly the major difference in sound quality that different tips make has to do with the seal. The quality of the seal radically alters tonal balance since is so greatly effects bass balance. So in that way, tips have a HUGE influence on sound. Especially for me, since I can only get a decent seal with foamies. Foamies will seal better than rubber tips in every case, so they will always allow more bass. That will alter perceived sound quality significantly. Whether or not it alters it for the better or now will vary according to listener preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back