WANTED: The LEAST Microphonic High Quality IEMs
Oct 1, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the ER-4P's and the superfi pro5's. I need to sell the superfi's because, to me, there's no comparison, I don't like them, never use them. Other people swear by them, though, so who knows what you'll like. I love the ER-4P's. I read complaints about their cord being microphonic. I have had zero problems with that, simply because I use the little clip that's on the cord to clip the cord to the front of my shirt. Bottom line for me: I love them and have no problem whatsoever with microphonics.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 14
My guess would have to be the UM2, as it has the braided cable over the ear, with one of those plastic tubes over it to keep the wires tight in place. I dunno how to explain it, but you get practically no microphonics with it. At least on my UM1's, but UM2's should be the same.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 14
So far in my experience the shures have some of the best cables with little to no microphonics.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for your responses so far...

Russdog, I am particularly curious about your comments.

What inspired this thread is my pair of ER6i's, which are always boasted because of their lack of microphonics. My experience, however, has been very different with them. Using the foamies, I can hear myself walk; if the cord brushes up against my coat, I can hear that, too. Microphonics with the ER6i's are so annoying, in fact, that I am going to sell them. And the ER4-Ps are supposed to be even worse!

I am looking at the Shure line now, which has always struck me as rather solid and efficient. But UM2s sound very intriguing...

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 14
I get zero microphonics on my UM-2s.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
it also has a lot to do with how you route the cable. if you route the ety er4 cable over the ear, microphonics are virtually non existant.

Exactly.

With that said, my E500's are essentially silent

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
Exactly.

With that said, my E500's are essentially silent

That's very encouraging for me
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the E4c didn't have too much of a microphonics problem. I'm sure there's some though.

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 14
in order for me to reduse the microphoics on my er-6is i insert them in upside down and rap the cord around my ear. You can also use the shirt clip. I use that setup severat times when i was on the tredmil and there was little/no microphonics. Other wise all iems are going to be at least some what microphic because the insert into the ear canal but i hear that the shure's are quite good in that regard. Go all the way to the e500s becaue thats where i plan on going after my er-6is
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 14
etysmile.gif
Yup, same here as most of the guys. I use my Westones UM1 on my daily commute and I have no problem with microphonics at all, except for the problem with hearing your own footsteps again(nothing to due with wire microphonics). Seems like those IEMs with wires routing above your ears when worn are generally less microphonic, though it seems like some are less so than others even in this group.(
wink.gif
Ask those with the old and new ER4s, seems like they changed the wires from a 'smooth' type to a braided type, apparently to cut microphonics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back