Wanted: SRC for foobar 0.83
May 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dubai2000

Head-Fier
Hi,

I am new to foobar 0.83 and would like to use SCR for it. Unfortunately the 'proper SRC version is no longer available and I was wondering if anybody might still have this on his computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Wolfram

May 12, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 11
SRC is available for the current (much more recent) version of Foobar2000, which many people consider to be superior to the old version. In blind tests, my wife (who has very sensitive ears) could not tell the difference between the two versions, however. I'm using the newer version because it supports better plug-ins, in my opinion.

By the way, I think it is generally good to avoid resampling, unless the hardware you are using resamples (and doesn't do a very good job of it, like many sound cards).

May 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 11
SRC also uses a lot of CPU. The system I was using back then really slowed down when SRC was running. I don't imagine it would matter on a music only system. I thought there might be some sound improvement, but it was totally outweighed by the system hitches.

I only run Mac now, and did not keep that SRC from then.

May 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Well, I am just curious to find out myself how much the sound might change with SRC
wink.gif

May 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 11
Got the files - thanks a lot!!!!! Have done a quick comparison to the current foobar/SRC version. To my ears the older version sounds a bit more three dimensional and somehow clearer - of course YMMV.

Cheers,
Wolfram

May 18, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 11
Been using the 9.6.3 version i think and it sounds clinical, imaging is more forward than the 0.8.3 but the 0.8.3 version is much smoother and sounds more musical and refined, and very analog like with a better soundstage.

After going back and forth and critically listening to them both along with my partner and even she agrees that there is a discernable difference between them both and her preference and mine are towards the 0.8.3 version.

I guess it depends upon your sources and speakers that determines the final sound. Maybe 9.6.3 or later versions are suited more to warm sounding gear to balance out the final sound.

May 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 11
I think you're all crazy. You're talking about the differences between a program that is supposedly outputting bit-perfect data.
I've not tried it myself, but seriously. What?

May 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by shogo33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been using the 9.6.3 version i think and it sounds clinical, imaging is more forward than the 0.8.3 but the 0.8.3 version is much smoother and sounds more musical and refined, and very analog like with a better soundstage.

That's exactly the difference I hear, over repeated comparisons over long periods. And if you listen carefully, it's not that 0.8.3 sounds more refined by losing detail, either.

Interestingly, the audiophile rave cPlay program tends to sound more like foobar 9.xx than 0.8.3.

May 19, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're all crazy. You're talking about the differences between a program that is supposedly outputting bit-perfect data.
I've not tried it myself, but seriously. What?

Then give it a go before making up your mind.

I think 0.8.3 is subtly different, but I don't think its better - the only real difference I've picked out so far is that some songs hurt my ears a little more than they usually do on 0.9.6. The rest of the differences I thought I heard are vague and will definitely fail a double-blind test, but even the "biggest" difference I heard could have been due to other things.

May 19, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think 0.8.3 is subtly different, but I don't think its better - the only real difference I've picked out so far is that some songs hurt my ears a little more than they usually do on 0.9.6. The rest of the differences I thought I heard are vague and will definitely fail a double-blind test, but even the "biggest" difference I heard could have been due to other things.

Again, could be a placebo effect, but i did a double blind test with a mate and my partner, and both said that there were subtle differences, 0.8.3 being a bit more smoother and relaxing type of sound.

This is not meant to be a decider where either versions is better over the other. Again, it depends upon your *sources* which could somehow effect the final sound that we hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back