Wanted: non-typical IEM advice - which is easier to insert and remove?
Dec 23, 2007 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

My focus for this question has changed a bit and I didn't want to make a new thread. Please see post #15

I know there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of threads asking for advice or suggestions on which headphones to buy. Unfortunately, I'm forced to create one too. After many many searches, I can't find where this question has been asked...

Which IEMs are the easiest to insert and remove?

I know I'll be asked more info, so I'll try to anticipate the questions
wink.gif

I listen to a wide range of music. I want to say I mostly listen to rock, but the more I think about it, maybe it's best if I list some of the artists I've had on "heavy rotation" lately.

My favorites are U2 and Tool. Lately there has been a lot of Duran Duran (Red Carpet Massacre is great!). There's been days/weeks of Def Leppard, Van Morrison, Frank Sinatra, Disturbed, and tons of others. :p In the environment I will be using the IEMs (see below), the music I listen to most is electronic style such as Depeche Mode, Prodigy, Crystal Method and Paul Oakenfold. I'm not sure, but I suspect I would be considered a basshead. I like to feel the bass a little, but I also want to hear the entire frequency range.

Most of this music are FLACs I listen to on my HD580s from my computer at work. The IEMs will be for my iPod. I've used Rockbox in the past, but I removed for improved battery life. Right now I use a 200+ VBR MP3 format on the iPod, but I'm willing to go back to Rockbox if I need to use a lossless format to get the most out of the new IEMs.

My primary reason for looking into an IEM is for isolation. I know this may sound odd, but I am in a bowling league and I listen to my iPod while I bowl. I want to clarify that I listen ONLY while I am bowling. In between frames, I need to be able to remove the IEMs easily and then re-insert them when it is my turn again. I am currently using the buds that came with the iPod, and they work great in this respect. They sound OK I guess, but I have to turn them up too loud to drown out the noise in the background. Ever been to a bowling alley? They are LOUD! Hence the desire for good isolation. Since I've had my Sennheisers for awhile now (thanks to a post on these forums), I want something that will sound good too.

I had decided to try some Super.Fi 5 Pro's. I had an order ready to go on Amazon.com (using the link that supports head-fi), when I stumbled upon this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...i-e-ms-277739/
Which led me to learning about Livewires. I knew about custom molded IEMs, but thought they were out of my price range. Honestly, $250 is more then I wanted to spend, but if a custom molded IEM will give me what I want, then I could force myself to spend more LOL (can't all of us relate? haha)

I tried a buddy's Shure E3c's last year. I recall they sounded OK, but mostly I remember they were tough to insert and remove. I was using the foam tips as they seemed to work the best.

So will the SF5 Pro's be better then a custom molded IEM based on these criteria? (in order of importance):
Isolation and ease of insert/removal are tied
sound quality (single, dual or triple driver?)

First, thanks for reading this very long winded post and thanks in advance for your advice. I don't have enough experience with IEMs to make an informed decision, so I'm relying on this wonderful community
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 17
48 views and no advice?
frown.gif

I can simplify the question...

Universal fit (SF5 Pro) or custom molded (Livewires or The Freq)?

I'm reading the Livewires thread and people are saying they can put them in and out in a second. Is that possible with SF5 Pro's?

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Hi!
I have no experience with super pro.fi IEMs but often Shure or Etymotics TIPS will fit the other IEMs brand and can isolate more than custom tips. And also are often more comfortable.

I think you will need to check on fleebay or other dealer for tips that would fit the IEM you choose.

lol,But please , please , please do not go down the "lube me thread" for better insertion...

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hayduke, I've owned and tried a lot of IEMs, and nothing is easier to insert/remove than customs, in my experience. I've never tried soft-material customs, so I can't comment on those--mine are of the hard acrylic type.

Which kind are Livewires or Freqs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
I have no experience with super pro.fi IEMs but often Shure or Etymotics TIPS will fit the other IEMs brand and can isolate more than custom tips. And also are often more comfortable.

I think you will need to check on fleebay or other dealer for tips that would fit the IEM you choose.

lol,But please , please , please do not go down the "lube me thread" for better insertion...

LOL@Caribou

So I have a vote for each. hhmmmm well I don't know how much that helped me make my decision hehe.

I appreciate the feedback though
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully some more folks will give their opinions as well. I'll probably make a decision by the end of the week, and then place an order somewhere.

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 17
It's the tips that make the difference. On my Atrios, I've used the Atrio foamies, Shure black olive foamies, and the Atrio silicone bi-flanges. The flanges are the easiest to insert and remove, hands down. I just pop them in, with no adjusting, no tugging on my outer ear, no rotation or jiggling.

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the tips that make the difference. On my Atrios, I've used the Atrio foamies, Shure black olive foamies, and the Atrio silicone bi-flanges. The flanges are the easiest to insert and remove, hands down. I just pop them in, with no adjusting, no tugging on my outer ear, no rotation or jiggling.

X2 on this.
My experience points to the tips maiking it easiest to insert or remove.
Personally, while the foamies isolate the best, the Shure Olives are the easiest for me to insert or remove. As soon as I insert them, they sweel to the perfect fit everytime. A tad more work for me when it comes to flanges and foamies.

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richdel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on this.
Personally, while the foamies isolate the best, the Shure Olives are the easiest for me to insert or remove. As soon as I insert them, they sweel to the perfect fit everytime. A tad more work for me when it comes to flanges and foamies.

easier then custom molded?

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richdel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on this.

And this will depend on exactly how well the tips match the diameter and/or shape of your ear canal, and how much "give" there is in the design of the tip. I have very small ear canals, and even the Shure olives are a pain for me. The smallest ones are just a bit too large, so I have to force them in and they only stay comfortable for a little while. Conversely, the Atrio flange tips have flanges that are very thin and floppy (they compress very easily), which makes them work just fine for my particular ears.

So, no matter what anybody else's experience has been, what tips work for an individual can only be discovered by trial and error.

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, I think my recommendation will be colored. Having had Ety's, Shures, Westone's, and UE's I think that the UE's were the easiest to insert accurately and remove easily. The reason I say my recommendation is colored, is that over time they all be come very easy to insert to get a tight seal, and remove without problem. I do admit that to this day I have a problem removing the right ear Ety IEM. Something about my ear and the design. The tip frequently gets stuck inside my ear canal
smily_headphones1.gif
. Oh well, those are my thoughts.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 17
I would say that it's a bad idea to choose a phone based on ease of insertion. My experience is that they all seem initially more difficult than what you had previously, for the first week, after which they all become easy. That is, once you get used to any and learn how they work, there's no problem. The only general rule I can think of is that if you have to roll them in your fingers first (foam), that's another step you don't have with the other types.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that it's a bad idea to choose a phone based on ease of insertion. My experience is that they all seem initially more difficult than what you had previously, for the first week, after which they all become easy. That is, once you get used to any and learn how they work, there's no problem. The only general rule I can think of is that if you have to roll them in your fingers first (foam), that's another step you don't have with the other types.

I agree. I'm not choosing entirely based on ease of insertion and removal. I guess this threads intent is to help me decide on universal or custom fit IEMs. If I decide to get universals, I have already decided to try Super.Fi 5 Pros, but after seeing this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...i-e-ms-277739/ I'm considering custom IEMs. I had always assumed they were way out of my price range, but these aren't. I could probably even convince myself to buy some Livewires. It doesn't take too much convincing when it comes to new toys, right? hehe
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 17
Lot's of folks are telling me that they get good results with universal fit IEMs by selecting a tip that works best for them.

I know I'm just trying to justify it for myself, but I'm trying to decide between custom molded IEMs vs. universal fit IEMs (specifically Super.Fi 5 Pros).

I will be using my IEMs during bowling, but I also will wear them when doing other things like hiking or riding on a plain (2 examples).

Since I may be wearing them for extended periods of time, will I be better off with earpieces custom molded for my ears?

Now that it has become a realistic possibility, I really want some custom IEMs
biggrin.gif
I've only had one comment on them so far. Most responses seem to be saying "universals can fit as good as customs." Does this mean that customs really are the ideal and universals are just trying to be "as good"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back