wanted: Massive and ugly retro-look headphones...any ideas?
Dec 15, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think something like this might turn the OP on.
biggrin.gif

PIONEER SE-505 Headphones - (eBay item 250196177092 end time Dec-15-07 15:46:59 PST)

I like.

What are those jacks on the bottom of ea cup? vacuum suctions for good seal?
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really dig retro stuff and want to add some vintage look headphones to my kit. can i get new products that look this way? or is there a truly classic vintage pair i should be looking out for?

i like the look of the Beyer DT150 but they're a bit tame...not ugly enough - would prefer them if the cups were much larger...and brown. decent sound would be good too, but its not as ultimately important as the look for this purchase. wanting some retro visual impact. basically, the more hideous the better.

any links or photos would be great - cheers

Check the Headphones worn by Jim Kelley in Enter the Dragon..
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

I like.

What are those jacks on the bottom of ea cup? vacuum suctions for good seal?
biggrin.gif

Im not sure if I even want to know...
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 55
I was going to recommend the Panasonics as well, since they will probably work better with his equipment (assuming something easier to drive and 1/8 plug just to be as general as possible) and sound better than some of the older options. Plus they are actually new.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Wharfedale DD-1 headphone is the biggest giant white ugly massive ugly retro ugly headphone I can think of which might offer something resembling not awful sound as well. They pop up on eBay not infrequently and insofar as I remember, are orthodynamic headphones.

ok, i really like the Wharfedale DD1, and can source a pair of these in good nick. they are truly massive and ugly. 600grams! they run at 8-16ohms though and are two way with a cross over. sound more like head speakers. according to manual - sensitivity (600hz) runs at 100d for 1mw. freq resp - 16hz-22000hz +-3db.

not much other info on them. any ideas at all on sound signature from these monsters. what am i going to need to run these? ipod ok for moderate volumes?

cheers

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #24 of 55
Technically OP could then do with some K340s...even could make the claim 'they are so inefficient, one needs a speaker amp to drive them'. And they are ugly to boot, even when Larry does his woody mods on em.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, i really like the Wharfedale DD1, and can source a pair of these in good nick. they are truly massive and ugly. 600grams! they run at 8-16ohms though and are two way with a cross over. sound more like head speakers. according to manual - sensitivity (600hz) runs at 100d for 1mw. freq resp - 16hz-22000hz +-3db.

not much other info on them. any ideas at all on sound signature from these monsters. what am i going to need to run these? ipod ok for moderate volumes?

cheers

If those specs are right then im wrong and they aren't orthos. They're paper cones and will likely sound awful.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #29 of 55
Grado = down right Retro. Just go for the great sounding Grados, and yes, they do come in pizza boxes! How retro can you get?

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 55
Erm...with all due respect to my fellow head-fiers (well, not really): while you pretty boys may be able to dazzle us with expensive Stax and esoteric woodies with Fort Knox cables, when it comes to old, brown, massive and ugly, I lay waste to your peoples and drink sweet mead from the skulls of your hapless children.
evil_smiley.gif

Stand aside knaves and behold with awe the Technics/Pansasonic EAH-420 4 Channel "Ambience Phones". One of the massivest, brownest and plain freakin' fugliest phones I know of.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back